News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Internet for disability claimants!

Started by looneylane, April 09, 2020, 10:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

looneylane

Ok ok I have been working for the past three years to have an amendment made to a program in our province called "The Internet for Good" Put on by Telus and Ministry for families which offer reduced price high speed internet for families with school age children, Normally the cheapest you can get basic internet for most in our area is 90 dollars a month for 15mps as they are the only game in town for many homes in our town. With all my lobbying I finally made some headway and had a Telus rep give me info that no one would tell me for the past three years. I think when he heard what I wanted he felt it was such a good idea!
      I sent out several emails to the right offices and then I was asked by the head of BC Social worker association what I was trying to do? He didn't know that the internet program didn't extend to people on disability unless they had a child in school. When I lead him through the process he got right on it and used his contacts to get email addresses and contact info to get to the right offices. He asked me to please not release our conversation or the work that came from our conversation. So now my 3 years of work has become a work credited to the Association which I am more than happy to have their name on it if it means so many people I care about wont have to choose between food and the internet. Social Isolation is killing people and causing severe depression in many others as all the programs they relied on have been cancelled because of COVID 19. It isn't a done deal but it went from low level support persons advocating to now political leaders are getting the push from professionals in the field of Social work. I am taking it as a win and patting my own back for not giving up and a big thank you for the association taking it on. And that is what I did for Disability and fibro peoples.

foxgrove

:bighug:  That's fabulous, Looney!!!  I'm so freakin proud of you for sticking with it until it and helping it to get off the ground.  I know many folks won't attach your name to it, but it'll be such a blessing to so many people.  Good job, brother.  :great: :clapping:

WAHOOOOO!!!!  Lovin it!!
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Robby

GREAT JOB!!!!  Man I don't even know what  to say, wonderful work I guess, that is spectacular. Who knows maybe you'll inspire me enough to try something like that here, I said maybe.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

ronr

GREAT !!

As usual, tirelessly working for someone else's benefit.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

looneylane

Thanks Fox it has been one of my side projects for a while with a lot of time invested in the beginning and the rest just continually applying pressure to get where we are today.
    Robby all of you guys inspire me every day and remember this took 3 years just to get the information to the right place so don't ever think you have to throw everything behind a project like this. If you feel passionate about a cause or a need you see find a way to invest time and energy in small doses. Remember three years ago I was still running fire and rescue calls now I am lucky to get my butt off the couch!
  Ronr When I started this project the benefit would have been helping out friends who struggle with being able to afford internet now it may even benefit me. With Covid 19 putting so many in isolation when they are already disconnected it was time for me to push some buttons and it worked at least to get it on the consider list with the people in charge!

denny

I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

Hollywood

LOONEY............your a bad ass. Way to go. You make me proud to know you.. :bighug:
Stephen Michael Dirse

Robby

looney what speed do they get, and how much?
/>----------

looneylane

If they qualify it is 25 mps for 9.99 most small communities in the interior this is the highest speed available (higher than I receive right now for 90 a month)

foxgrove

Wow!!!  That is spectacular!  For those of you who worry this is too slow, understand that many many small communities in Canada are limited to 15mbps at best and pay 80-100 per month for the privelege.  This is like gold from heaven!  Well done, brother!! 

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Foxgrove

Robby

Yeah, until just a few months ago we were paying $100/mo for 8 to 10mbs, we are talking dial up territory most of the time, because we had satellite internet.
/>----------

Hollywood

Stephen Michael Dirse

looneylane

Quick update! I know this is taking forever for any movement and I am not a patient person when something seems so right to be done! I sent off a frustrated but polite letter to the head of media relations as I had been told it would take just a few weeks to have a firm reply and action with no assurance what it would look like. As some of you know I was working as an employment support social worker for a while and I still contacted the head of our association of social workers to help get movement on it. He contacted me today letting me know not to stress as the release will be this Thursday.....I think they realized I don't let things drop when it comes to helping  people and the last thing they needed was me frustrated talking to media lol! I will let you all know if something good actually comes out as soon as I do.

foxgrove

:great: Sometimes keeping the pressure on is the only way thing get done.  Good on ya, brother. :bighug:

Foxgrove

Robby

Way to stick with it. A lot of people are going to be grateful to you.
/>----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk