News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

*&(&&%#%^*^(&^$^&(

Started by Robby, March 20, 2021, 09:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robby

I have been having trouble with my laptop, not real sure what was causing it, but I was getting pages locking up, taking forever to load, links (and link boxes ie Next), the network adapters just dropping out for 10 seconds, to one minute or so, just slowing down and other things. Not the type of things you would see in a virus or malware Well it finally got bad enough that I did a system restore.  :great: That worked about a week,  buttkick then all the problems started again slowly one at a time. So last night it got to where I had to do something. Knowing whatever was wrong was saved in the restore file. I decided to just reinstall windows. I reach in the drawer, I have one usb with Macricum restore on it.  Then another with w10 installation. I stuck the install usb in, restarted to bios, choose the usb, clicked OK, it started, then gave me an error msg that basically said this medial is unusable, which is strange because I've used it before. So anyway, I download the windows install tool, redo my usb, then ran it. Got windows reinstalled, and now is when the horror show began. First thing I did was try to get the internet connection up, to start the updates, the install did not install a driver for the wifi, bluetooth, or ethernet adapters. UH-OH,  :blowup: this will be a problem, how can you download a network adapter, when you don't have  a network adapter driver. Two hours later I finally managed to dig up a driver from a saved backup. Got that going, then tried to sign in to windows for all that entails. My password doesn't work. I finally get my password reset 45 minutes later, then a couple hours after this when I finally stop for they are night, I notice that it created a new account for me,  :jawdrop: :jawdrop: instead of the one I was logging in on.

Right after I get signed in originally, the information I was trying to restore, I had everything back up, there was over 300 gig on the external, notice I said "was", just before I started the reinstall I backed up again, just the file and folders, there was three partitions on the external, and when I went to restore, there was only one partition left.  :facepalm: It was the second backup, so there are only one or two files I don't have, and are not important. At this point I have it working, it's not quite right, but give me a little time and I'll have it working better.  :biggrin: This isn't all of my problems with this situation, but if I go into all of it, me an you both will be pulling out our hair.  :yikes:
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

looneylane

Yikes sounds like a very frustrating process!!

foxgrove

Dude... crap!  It's like you were at my house a couple of months ago... That phrase never fit so well as recently; a person can screw up but to really screw it up, you need a computer! Windblows... don't talk to me about windblows!  Grf!!!  Sadly, the normally chosen alternative is a mac... Not to take it out on mac guys but geez, do they really have to put a Lambo price tag on their Kias?

Hope you are able to figure out what's killing your devices and scrubbing your backups.  Sounds like aliens to me... (I've started using that line with my brother in law... he doesn't think it's funny either) :biggrin:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

WOW!!!

What you gonna do with the rest of your day he said while ducking for the door.    :sofa_bricks:

Did something similar couple months ago with the old desktop.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Robby

I get finally get logged back into all my accounts, which starts with H, ends with L and has EL in the middle  :smiley praying: , because for some reason none of my saved passwords worked, had to reset all of them. Then my internet was running super slow. If I went in the modem/router and ran a speed test to the router I'm getting over 900 up and down. However when running the same test through the router to the browser (FF & Chrome), it was only 350 & 400. Considering I am using a usb wifi, instead of the onboard adapter, because it just wasn't working right, kept dropping  signal running slow and all that stuff. So I wondered if that might have been whatever gremlins got into the rest of the pc. I tried to go back to the onboard adpater, but the pc said that it does not exist, I did not remove it so I know it's there. In one of my brilliant decisions, I decided to reset/release all my wifi adapters and and restore them. That should have picked it back up, no luck.

So I decided to open FF and find the cmd to reload it, but I open FF, and guess what I've been signed out of my account, and FF reset to fresh install. I try to sign in but it won't take my password,  I try to reset the password, click the link and enter my email, and instead of the normal verification methods, (a security code to email, etc..) it sends me a QR code to scan from within the Android app. So I scan the code from within the app, and get an error code that says something like "Did you use the phone camera, you must scan the code from within the app". I look it up on the FF help site, seems people get that error msg when doing things not related to the camera or scanning codes. So it could mean anything. It shows I'm logged in, but I'm not. So I have no freaking clue what nuked my FF. I'm at the point of un/reinstalling to see if that fixed it.

Just another day in the life of a pc owner and lover. It's things like this that make me wonder why I love pc's so much  :insane:

UPDATE
So I'm using chrome, so I have my bookmarks and passwords, my plan when I leave here is to go to another website I visit frequently, but when I try to click the bookmark the entire folder is missing, I start looking aroun, and my bookmarks that are showing are from a month ago, I've made a good many changes lately and none of those are displayed. I'm missing bookmarks, there are old one's that should be deleted, but are still showing up.  :blowup:
/>----------

foxgrove

Dang!  Double dang, even!!  Wishin I had a fast way out of computer hell.  Been there too many times.  Gotcha in my prayers, brother. :bighug:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Barberian

I run Avast anti-virus software. It's never let me down. It has blocked many hostile websites and attempted browser addons. I've been using it for about 15 years+. My only complaint is in the last year or two it has become more active with pop-ups to upgrade to a paid version. It isn't often enough to be that annoying. I've been using the free version this whole time.

Robby

Listen to this one, I had just changed the Gmail password a couple days ago and remembered it so I go to check my email. Except that password won't work. I try to change it again, only problem is hasn't been long enough, so my account is locked for 48 hours to give a person the time to look at my security information, what I supplied against what is on file, then they will email me. My main account starts "1971", my rescue email is my old email I still get mail at, because of that I have it forwarded it to my main account. The account I can't get into. I have no one to blame but my own stupidity. Who says God doesn't have a sense of humor.
/>----------

Barberian

all I can say is keep praying and keep the faith. The Lord has worked wonders beyond any expectation for me lately. I'll get into it at a later time, I'm wiped out from working and fibro/CFS.

:smaller old man:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk