News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

new old computer "for parts"

Started by augoldminer, April 27, 2021, 07:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

augoldminer

Spent $59 for a Lenovo T410 laptop for parts. seller said it  showed a fan error.
Since i had just fixed a fan error on my T410 and had a extra fan i picked it up.

Just got it and was playing with it and it booted up with no problems. and no fan error.  :yikes::LOL:

Put my Linux mint hard drive from my other Lenovo T410 in it and it works fine with absolutely no problems. And am using it to do this post

Now i just have to clone my hard drive and i have two linux Lenovo T410s ready to go.

Now i just have to look for another Lenovo T410 FOR PARTS!!!

I like old T410s because they are easy to work on and have so many  ports and work fast with linux mint. ``
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

foxgrove

Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

augoldminer

After the luck i had with the Lenovo T410 laptop "parts' computer I found another "parts" with the fan error problem and ordered it.

Got it today and put a battery and power to it, and it did have a fan error.
Hit the fan with electronic duster and the fan error went away and i put one of my linux mint hard drives in it and guess what.

This one works even better as it has a built-in camera

Now I have three Lenovo T410 that work fine.

And I also have upgraded the first one with a 3.0 USB card that just plugs in the 34-mm ExpressCard slot.

:laughbounce2: :blue thumbs up:
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

Robby

I used to love doing that stuff, running Linux, building and selling computers. But, the fog got thick and I couldn't focus on what I was doing, or couldn't think about what I was trying to do. stuff I had done 1000 times, I just sat there looking at the machine, for 30 minutes or more, and just finally had to quit for a few days before I could remember. I eventually lost interest in it because it was just to difficult, and made me feel worse about myself. Now many years later, I have a small desire to start back up, but, last time I tried to track down a part I needed, I was so lost, I had no idea where to start, or even what I was looking for things have changed so much. Maybe one day I'll get back into it. But for now I can't keep my files and folders straight. A couple weeks ago I realized I had 4 Pictures folders nested inside each other, and every folder had the same pictures the other 3 did. It's been like that since I had to reinstall windows a couple months ago. I still don't have this thing working right, and it's all because of stuff like that, and the wifi adapter being fried, and me trying to run a usb adapter, so the machine has trouble deciding which adapter to use.

But you go boy. I am so glad you've managed to get in this spot. Are you going to keep all of them, sell a couple or what? Just curious you don't have to answer.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

augoldminer

Two I am going to setup for regular use and the other one i am going to setup in a hard case for use if i ever have to go in the hospital again.
Since i am using Linux i can clone three identical hard drives that have all my data on them ready to go

i am a little like you, I have to relearn Linux again since the last time i used Linux mint 12, and they are up to Linux mint 20.1 now.

There are so many forums for Linux mint when you are troubleshooting where you can just copy and paste into terminal to fix problems unlike years ago.
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

foxgrove

Bravo!!! :clapping:  I always love to see an old machine breathe life again. 

Foxgrove

ronr

Sounds like a sideline for you to refurbish & sell them.  Good job!
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Robby

Quote from: foxgrove on May 12, 2021, 10:05:48 AM

Sounds like you are talking about the members of MWF  :lmao: :rotfl: :emolaugh:
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

Quote from: Robby on May 13, 2021, 05:26:40 AM
Quote from: foxgrove on May 12, 2021, 10:05:48 AM

Sounds like you are talking about the members of MWF  :lmao: :rotfl: :emolaugh:

:lmao: :emocrazy: :lmao: :emocrazy: :lmao: :emocrazy:

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk