News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

The world is upside down...

Started by looneylane, November 05, 2022, 10:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

looneylane

This morning we got bombarded with crisis after crisis. We had scheduled for a sign to be installed which was fine other than I had the wrong measurements for a few things so I fixed than and then had to go get more postcrete as the sign was far bigger than I thought it was going to be but it really nice....then the septic tank guys showed up unexpected.....which was really lucky as it was only a few inches from flooding the lawns and lower apartments with sewage.  The main pump sheared off so it was acting like it was working until you opened the hatches. Normally these pump systems have an alarm system or they blow the breakers then a tenants family came to say their family member may not ever leave the hospital.... 

My Father in law called and asked for a favour...could I cut his hair for him...He has cancer and they had opened his scalp with a huge long incision so wasn't sure about asking a hair dresser to gently cut around his stitches... We went up and I struggled as I worried about catching on a stitch, I finished up and we went home where I started to break down as my father went through cancer and I couldn't be there for him and here was my father in law one of the strongest kindest persons I know, cutting his hair seems like so little but he wanted his hair to look normal as well as be able to put a hat on which he struggled with with his hair and stitches.... I cried

foxgrove

Breaks my heart what you're going through. We're here for you, brother.

Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Robby

I hope my meaning reaches you  the same as I intended.

You were not able to be there for your father, even as bad as you desired to be. I can understand your feelings there, I went through something similar with my mom.  But to continue my thought, Because you were not able to be there for your dad the way you wanted, God is giving you another opportunity to take care of a loved one. All those things you missed with your dad, you will now get to experince  with your dad-in-law. God had a plan, I don't know the circumstances with your dad, but I can just imagine there was  someone taking care of him,   and doing the things for him you wanted to. You were in debt to that person. But now you can pay it forward, for lack of a better word. Enjoy every minute you get with dad-in-law. Thank God daily for the opportunity to serve another  person. To be a very humble loving servant. That I know you are.                                                                                                                                                                      
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

ronr

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

looneylane

Kim will be taking her dad to the cancer clinic this week so keep them in your prayers. This morning was Our Remembrance day service as chaplain there is normally 3 small parts and even thought they were small I almost called in sick as I was having trouble even standing but I sucked it up only to have the senior Legion member walk up and tell me I had to run the whole service as they had no members to take on roles essential for remembrance day...The microphone died again I personally tested it earlier in the week but it still could have been switched so half the building heard almost nothing...I am glad I was there to help put it together but I am exhausted....

foxgrove

Wow... dude!  Well done!  Now rest, you have way more than earned it. Technical problems suck but we can't control everything. You'd better lie down, though.  Your angels are likely pretty tired. :bighug:

Foxgrove

foxgrove

So, how did last week go? Are you starting to get more energy than you're putting out or is the tap still only dribbling?

Foxgrove

looneylane

Still going like crazy though a little slower. No choice in that but things keep moving along one of our tenants passed and sadly there was some disagreements the family had to work through, even a wonderful family can have issues especially when emotions are raw. We worked with them to deal with his apartment. Dad is doing well with his cancer treatments so far but still very weak so we went up and did their Christmas lights. I will try to fill you all in when things slow down.  Thanks Fox and thanks all my fibro family!

foxgrove

Foxgrove

Robby

Just know that we will be here to listen to anything, I would like to say for anything you need, but that will be hard to accomplish considering the circumstances.
/>----------

looneylane

An author wrote a book about Search and rescue and sent me the bio and a few of my experiences through the years I thought some of you would enjoy a glimpse into days where I had enough spoons to get through long days.

Hello:
In researching my new book, Rescue Me: Behind the Scenes of Search and Rescue,  interviewed over sixty Search and Rescue members from all over North America to raise awareness about what these men, women, K9s and horses do as volunteers. My own husband, Stephen Smith, is in Sunshine Coast Search and Rescue, BC, and Todd from Barriere Search and Rescue is one of those dedicated special individuals. I thought you may be interested in the profile I've written about him and about his most impactful cases in his long Search and Rescue volunteer career.
My book link is at https://caitlin-press.com/our-books/rescue-me/ I'm copying Todd, as you may wish to interview him for a story and he may have some photos you could use for a story.
If you need a copy of the book, or wish to arrange an interview with me, please contact Malaika Aleba at Caitlin Press, who is copied on this email.
On another note, I enjoyed coming from Vancouver to assist Hiroshi Takahashi with a HAM Radio Basic course in Barriere during the summer of 2017 despite the smoke and fires. We held the crash course at your Fire Hall. It was daunting that the cell towers were in danger and the students were a dedicated group of first responders who wanted a back up emergency comms plan. We brought with us a load of food and other donations for those afflicted by the fires :-(
Yours warmly,
Cathalynn Labonte-Smith
Todd - Beauty and Danger
By Cathalynn Labonte-Smith
Todd, call sign Barriere SAR 38, was born and raised in the Yukon. He lived in the wilderness long enough to be entirely comfortable and aware of both the beauty and dangers of the backcountry. Todd joined both Barriere Search and Rescue (www.facebook.com/barrieresar) and the Fire Department in 2004, because when the wildfires of 2003 raged he worked in disaster relief and was impressed by how dedicated these two groups were. 
"We were raised to always be willing to give a hand to anyone we met, so this seemed like a good fit for me," he says.
His experience in the Yukon bush left him confident in bush craft and taught him situational awareness before he even knew what that meant. He considered himself lucky when he moved to Barriere SAR, in BC to be with those who knew far more than he knew about that part of the country. "Where I was weak they were strong. There was always a balance of experience for many situations," he says. 
Todd is a social worker, but has also worked as an Occupational First Aid Attendant and on forestry crews. All of these careers were valuable in his work with Search and Rescue. Todd says Search and Rescue "demonstrated to family members how being a part of the team can instantly change a family get-together, as my pager has gone off several times at family events. Me and my son would run off out the door. His wife was asked if it happened often and she said, "Yes and we just carry on while they are out helping someone." In 2020, Todd was running out the door a lot with over three hundred volunteer hours, four local calls and several mutual aid calls.
His most treasured piece of SAR equipment? "It would have to be the radio! Good clear radio communications has been one of the best ways to get a task done safely and quickly. It has been the most used and relied upon whether at a search, or a highway rescue to keep our team safe and coordinated," Todd says.
MVA, Barriere
In the past, Barriere Search and Rescue did auto extrication, where they cut up cars and pulled out the subjects. On one call, they had a vehicle down an extremely steep and deep incline. Luckily, the family were banged up, but with no serious injuries. However, no one in the vehicle understood English. Despite the language barrier, they gave Todd and his crew their trust immediately. 
Todd says, "As I checked them over the mom just handed her little one, about four or five years-old, over to me. Using the ropes, I took her to the waiting ambulance. As I handed her over, she gave me a little squeeze around my neck—it felt like the only thank you she could give." Todd never forgot that hug. 
Todd says during his time in SAR, he's "gained a greater understanding of how many agencies work together to help each other out." He has stepped back to a resource guide role due to health issues. But hopes to get back to the field again and would like to take on Search Manager roles or tracking in the future.

Call early and don't be afraid that you will get in trouble! So many calls for lost persons wait until someone is several hours or even a day overdue! We aren't going to get mad if someone shows up while we are prepping or if it is a misunderstanding on when they are going to be back.
— Todd

Todd thinks one of the key things Search and Rescue members need to know is that they will have to deal with calls that are unpleasant and can leave them distraught. When that happens, "It is ok to say something when this happens and to feel the way you do." 

foxgrove

I'm so proud of you, brother!  :budy: Good writeup. I'll be waiting eagerly for it's release as a ebook.  :blue thumbs up:

This kept running through my head as I read your bio...

Foxgrove

ronr

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

looneylane

Very sad news of the loss of a young lady I had worked accident scenes with on several occasions as we did cross cover on the edges of fire rescue response. She has two young daughters to please keep in your prayers. https://www.facebook.com/blackpoolfirerescue/posts/pfbid0AjU24yC2K2xdmumWZbLrwgJiZwHQ3gs1b8xqRS4gxndHJFxcUCr5pY3dSUsTDYkul

Robby

/>----------

foxgrove

Wow!!! Heart attack at 34!!! Oh... my heart breaks for them. Praying. Thanks for letting us know, brother. Sorry that you lost a friend. :cry2: :bighug:

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk