News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

Judas

Started by Hollywood, April 07, 2023, 12:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood

First of all is it okay to ask biblical questions here?

Second Judas. I have always felt bad for him. Because someone had to betray Jesus, it was all part of the plan of the Crucifixion?  It's like Judas already had his destiny planned out. Or am I way off?
Stephen Michael Dirse

looneylane

That is a question I have always stressed over hopefully someone has a good understanding I know I used to feel strongly that we are missing part of the story not that anything would make it ok but just bring peace 

Robby

My understanding is that Judas had a backstabbing heart to begin with. God did not give him such an evil heart, he did that all by himself. He was not going to change at all for anyone, it doesn't matter how long he was with Jesus, or how much preaching he heard, hidden in his heart was betrayal. So when he was offered 30 pieces of silver, he jumped on it, because the money was more important to him than the love of God. But again God did not give him that evil heart, and God spend 3 years begging him to change, but like a lot of people I know, he refused to change.

I have lost count of how many people have come through the church, and they were the most active in visitation's, and leading Sunday School, and arranging work days at the church, singing in the choir, playing the piano, driving a bus, and anything else you can think of. Then one day they just flipped a switch, and walked out of the church into a life of horrible sin that no one would have ever expected. That thought didn't just happen, they had hid that from us for those years they were in the church, and it just finally got to be more than they could resist. So they went back to that life they had tried to leave, but their heart never left that life.

The same with Judas, he left that life but his heart didn't, God can not be blamed for that. His destiny was not planned out before hand. God would have given him forgiveness at any time he asked for it. He could have had that same eternal life the other disciples had, but he  choose not to accept it. That is not God's fault, that is a sinful heart at it's worst.

It is the same for any of us, that has tried to live a life for God, but have always fallen short. Maybe we just have a secret sin we don't want to give up, maybe we have been fooled into thinking our sin was forgiven, but somewhere inside we knew it wasn't. Maybe we just failed to let go of the control of our life even though we tried. Maybe we tried the wrong way to God's presence. We can call on God at any time, and ask for forgiveness, ask God to heal us, and ask God to change us. If we are sincere, and honest about what we want, (1 John 1:9)  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  (John 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 

Romans 3:23
Romans 3:10
Romans 5:12
Romans 6:23
Romans 5:8
Romans 10:9-10
Romans 10:13
Romans 10:17
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

It sounds like you're dancing around the idea of something called pre-destination... essentially that God has predetermined each person's path and it doesn't matter what you do, your path is already set before you, good or bad. Here's where I have a problem with that. God gave us something called free will, the ability to decide whether to follow God or to turn your back on Him and follow your own way. Without it, we could not express love to God and that is part of the reason He created us. At it's essence, love is a decision. We decide whether to put someone else's needs in front of our own or not.

So, we know that we have choice in the matter... but doesn't God already know what we're going to do?  Yeah, He does... but that doesn't make our decision any less ours. To blame God for our actions would be like getting a call on your phone that a flash flood was coming, going out and telling all your neighbours, arranging a bus to take them to higher ground, and then being blamed that the ones who stayed because they thought it would be fun to be in a flash flood or something like that.... I know... sometimes my analogies don't work that great. But the end result is that we make our choices, God knows what we'll decide before we do.

But, doesn't God make our paths straight... that would imply that He changes things, wouldn't it? Well, yes... indeed it would. Look back in the Bible at the Pharaoh that Moses confronted. The story starts out with God talking to Moses through the burning bush and He says, "But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand compels him. So I will stretch out my hand and strike the Egyptians with all the wonders that I will perform among them. After that, he will let you go."

So Moses goes to Pharaoh and says "Let my people go!" What does Pharaoh do??? First thing we get from Pharaoh is "Who is this God of yours?? No I won't let you go." God tells Moses, "Pharaoh's heart is unyielding; he refuses to let the people go." ...but go and ask him again. Over and over we get this loop; "Let my people go!", "Pharaoh hardened his heart and would not let the people go", and a bunch of plagues batter the land, until finally we get this phrase:
    "But the Lord hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he was not willing to let them go."

So God allowed Pharaoh to "harden his heart", essentially to get more and more stubborn and refuse to yield to persuation... but eventually, God says, "Ok, you want a hard heart, I'll help you" and lets Pharaoh feel the end result of willfully disobeying God over and over again; the death of his first born son and the downfall of his armies.

I think the same kind of thing was happening to Judas. I don't think he saw himself as opposed to God's plan. I think he thought of himself as a facilitator of God's plan. He wanted Jesus to be this coming King who would chase out the Romans, bring Israel back to it's former glory, and set up His throne right then and there. (This was the thinking of the time about the Messiah's coming) But Jesus was "doing it all wrong"... He was making the priesthood angry, He wasn't confronting the right people, He wasn't taking charge and being the ruler the scriptures had said He's be...

So Judas takes control of the situation. Right after Jesus raised Lazarus from the tomb, he heads into Jerusalem, right at Passover, Judas thinks, now Jesus will take His place in the temple and His reign will start. But Jesus doesn't act like a ruler about to take their throne but rather a man come to die. Judas sets Jesus up... creates a situation in the garden where there was no choice but to reveal Himself as the new ruler. Romans, the enemy of Israel, coming to take Him away. Now He would HAVE to act. I really think Judas thought Jesus would be thrust into the limelight as the new ruler and would do what Judas thought was God's plan.

Instead, Judas watches as they take Jesus away, try Him, and execute Him as a criminal. He hadn't sparked the rebellion he had thought was going to happen. He had simply betrayed the one he had been following and waiting for and putting all his hopes on... and now it was over. His payment now revealed as blood money, he goes out and hangs himself.

I weep for Judas. Like Saul of old, he had leaned on his own understanding of things and sought to make life happen for God. In doing so, he totally screwed up and wasted his chance to do the right thing. How often do I do the same thing in my life. Father forgive us for leaning on our own understanding. Help us to follow your path for us.

Bare your soul to God. Give Him your plans and hopes and dreams. I promise you, God has the best plans for you... plans to bless you and not to cause you harm. Are those plans gonna suck sometimes?  Yup. Just because they are the best thing for us, doesn't mean it's going to be easy. Remember that the apostles, Jesus' best friends on earth, all lived troubled lives, faced adversity at every turn, died horrible deaths, and yet, they all found joy and freedom in living out God's plan for their lives... partly because they were able to see God working in this world and partly because they understood that this life is only the first chapter in the book.

Courage, my friends. Courage. :bighug:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Hollywood

Wow Fox, you did it again. You basically read my mind. And thanks for taking the time to explain all of that I know it's not easy.

Again thank you ALL for replying

Love you brothers in Christ. \,,,/
Stephen Michael Dirse

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk