News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

Gabapentin

Started by foxgrove, October 11, 2008, 04:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxgrove

Has anyone heard of Gabapentin being related to Candidiasis (yeast infections)?  After years of wondering if men could get it I unfortunately have now experienced it with rather suspicious timing.  Yeoooooooooooowww!!!   :686:  Talk about itchy.

The only thing that we could figure is that somehow my immune system suffered a whack.  I have to admit that by the time doc pulled me off Gabapentin, my emotional system was a total wreck.  Jo simply said that she wanted her husband back... NOW!!!!  So... now we're trying Cymbalta.  So far so good.. Keep me in your prayers.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

dolphin/john

you have my prayers and the best of luck with your new meds

john
IN A WORLD OF FAKES DARE TO BE REAL

rexbull28

cymbalta is good but levels off and they go up on the dose. i take the cymbalta 2x aday--lyrica  3x a day -- flexril  3x a day --tramadol---4 times a day and still hurt. good days are a 4 to 5 on the pain scale 6 and 7 are ok the rest is _____________

db

I would hate to go off Gaba (Neurontin).  Couldn't you just cut back?  I suspect the yeast infection is independent of the drug but it's hard to know.  Have you thought about switching over to Lyrica rather than Cymbalta?  At least they are in the same class.

db  :ohmy:

foxgrove

Gaba caused some pretty nasty mood changes (read manic depressive) so it went the way of the do-do.  I've tried Lyrica and had to drop it because of some oss side effects including audible hallucinations (totally freaked me out).  Doc pulled me as soon as he heard about it.  We tried again a few months later and had the same side effects.  That was at minimum dose!! 

So that leaves me shelling out HUGE bucks for Cymbalta.  Too bad it's not covered under provincial drug program.  Oh well.

Foxgrove

tojo

Quote from: foxgrove on October 17, 2008, 12:40:48 AM
I've tried Lyrica and had to drop it because of some oss side effects including audible hallucinations (totally freaked me out). 
I knew I wanted to be on Lyrica for a reason, now I know why.

But seriously [believe it or not] sorry to hear you are having troubles my friend and I hope all of the nasties clean up very very soon for you.

Could you take it out side and freeze it away maybe????????

one of Jesus' own
Tojo

foxgrove

QuoteCould you take it out side and freeze it away maybe?
LOL!!!!  and you catch us with decent weather (50s and heading for 60).. I'll never remember to freeze my problems away at this rate..  :lmao:

Foxgrove

dolphin/john

hey foxgrove you can bring them down here to PA. we are in the middle of a cold spell into the 30s and 20s at night
IN A WORLD OF FAKES DARE TO BE REAL

ThomK

That really does not sound pleasant. :(

I hope you are doing much better now, and I hope your wife is now much happier. :)

Be well. I hope the Cymbalta works for you. 
Of all the people I thought I wanted to be, or imagined that I could have been, I don't remember this being one of choices.

marriedwithfibro

Quote from: foxgrove on October 11, 2008, 04:23:12 PM
Has anyone heard of Gabapentin being related to Candidiasis (yeast infections)?  After years of wondering if men could get it I unfortunately have now experienced it with rather suspicious timing.  Yeoooooooooooowww!!!   :686:  Talk about itchy.

The only thing that we could figure is that somehow my immune system suffered a whack.  I have to admit that by the time doc pulled me off Gabapentin, my emotional system was a total wreck.  Jo simply said that she wanted her husband back... NOW!!!!  So... now we're trying Cymbalta.  So far so good.. Keep me in your prayers.

Hi Foxgrove, I was on gaba's, which i have to say i didn't notice the role they played in my pain management and also to help with my involountry twitches, now when i started the Gaba's it was part of a massive amount of drugs iwas taking, all for F/M, inc various hardcore medications. Now i didn't come of Gaba's because of any side effects or because they didn't work, i was having problems with finding a chemist that could supply me with one of my painkillers (Nefopam), which i was finding difficult due to suppliers having major distribuion problems, in the end the chemist advised me to see my GP before i ran out to be put on a replacement. I did this and there isn't any other replacement i could have so he put me on Lyrica, this was to replace both the Nefopam and indeed would have to replace Gaba's cos i couldn't take both them and the Lyrica, so me stopping them was a bit of a forced move in the vast array of trying new pain releiving methods and discovering new side effects!
Now in answer to your question, I ain't got a clue, lol, sorry i do rabble on when i get going. As I'm sure you know, remembering what you were thinking and typing it down before you forget again is hard enough in itself without having to remember the question lol, sorry bud its something i can talk forever on as controlled substance and chemicals have shaped my life since my mum became a opi0t and diazapine(to be honest owt she could get) addicted patient when i was about 5 and still is and will be all her life as my brother will be unfotunately and since then my life as been shaped and effected in everything i do, say think or indeed feel, People wouldn't believe the kind of hardships and emotional scars (some physical scars too) the prescription drugs can cause nor the pain they cause families all over the world.

On a separate note, I'm assuming your having bother with thrush, ifso canesten cream works straight away and i also know natural yog works wonders too. I think it unlikely your meds are the issue though especially as there are so many different ways in which you can cause. ( if i am wrong and your not on about thrush then oops

I have hated both Doctors, Medication and benefit bums since I've been able to understand things and i can't stress enough to people that this is more common and easier to become Dependant than they think. You can imagine the doctors frustrations at me when he tried to get me to take antidepressants to help me sleep and then i became diagnosed with F/M i think he wanted to scream and pull his hair out cos it took him5yrs and alot of convincing before i started accepting his recommendations and the threat if i didn't start accepting the pain meds then i would probably be looked at as refusing treatment which in turn would have meant all treatment would have to be stopped. Sorry there i go again chatter chatter chatter lol I'll leave you to rest your eye's my brother and you will be for front in our prayers as all my fellow fibromites are.

peace be with you my brother and your family and may the world start to realize you don't have to be sad in order to be bad, but when your bad, sure as sh*t it'll make you sad. Hope to chat soon Daze

CalDoug

Cymbalta seems to work for me. I don't know about the others. I hope the change works for you. I will keep you in my prayers.                                                Doug

foxgrove

Thanks for the encouraging words gents.  Your words mean the world to me.

The rash (you nailed it daz.. it was thrush) is doing WORLDS better after I started using Canestin (hmmmm... someone mentioned that one as well) and eating Danone yogurt.  YAY!!!!   :clapping:  Who knows what started it but I sure am glad it's leaving...   :yeah:

The Cymbalta isn't causing me any problems that I can tell.  No change in the pain level yet but I'll be patient.  I bought a whole lotta pills so I want to get my money's worth out of them.  (Boy are they ever expensive!!!)   :emocurse:

All in all I have little to complain about.   :emocrazy: 

Foxgrove

countryboy

Having a problem trying to decide if I want to try switching from Neurontin to Cymbalta or Lyrica.

I have neuropothy in both feet to the point that I am almost completely numb from the ankles down.  The bottoms of my feet have had no feeling for a few years now, but it is slowly moving up to both ankles.  They put me on Nuerontin about 3 years ago, because even though I was numb, both feet felt like they were constantly on fire and had needles sticking my nerves all the time.

Funny how you can be numb on the outside, but hurt like hell on the inside.

The Neurontin has helped a great deal with the pain, but now it seems to be getting a little worse each month or two.  My diabetic Dr. wants me to either switch to Cymbalta or Lyrica to see if it will help.

My problem is two fold.  First is the known fact that with these two drugs, and especially the Lyrica is the great possability of gaining some if not a lot of weight.  I have talked to many people about Lyrica, and that seems to be the worst side effect.

The second factor I am considering is the extreme cost of these two drugs.  I am on medicare and reached that lovely plateau in March where the SSA had paid the first level of $2560.00 in prescriptions and now I have to pay the next $4560.00 berfore they kick back in again.  This discusting government way of paying for medicare rx. will start all over again in January.

My point is that the Neurontin being generic drug only costs me $5.00 each month.  Where as the Cymbalta and Lyrica not being generic will run me over $280.00 each month once I have reached that magic plateau of $2560.00. each year.  Because of the type of drug that the Cymbalta and Lyrica are, my cost starting in January would only be $50.00 per month until I hit that plateau level.  Then right back up there to over the $280.00.

If I knew that it would help a lot, I might consider the additional expense.  But that would mean an additional close to  $300.00 more in rx. each month.  Between the wife and I, we are already paying over $1000.00 each month in meds alone.  That does not include her medical insurance at $690.00 each month or all of her diabetic meds.  She won't qualify for medicare for another 3 years.  Just where does this crap end.

Boy, talk about the golden years.  They really suck.

I am leaning toward sticking with the Nuerontin as long as I can put up with the increased pain.   The monthly SS check can only stretch so far.

As for side effects from the Neurontin, I really can't think of any major ones that I have noticed.

:horse:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

foxgrove

I feel for you bro.  I have to admit that the extra pain in the checkbook is starting to make us wonder is Cymablta was such a good idea.  However, with no negative side effects, I'm going to ride this one out waiting for GOOD side effects... absence of pain.. etc etc...  If they don't come... it's gonzo!!

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk