News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Check out these new cars...

Started by Robby, April 18, 2023, 10:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robby

/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

Wild stuff to look at. Can't imagine throwing my money at any of the but very interesting. (plus, any money I could throw would likely chip something    :biggrin: )
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

Nice options I suppose but NONE of them are on my list of must have items.

Do ey have a veterans discount, or may handicap or old peoples discount?
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

augoldminer

BYD E-CARS are known for catching fire.
https://www.wapcar.my/news/in-china-640-evs-caught-fire-in-the-first-quarter-of-2022-up-32-percent-45371

i, for one. do not like e cars and do not like fires that re almost impossible to put out. :yikes:  :yikes:  :emocurse:  :emobadmod:
Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

foxgrove

Quotewhere a Model S spontaneously caught fire while it was parked
Geez, at least with the Pinto, you had to crunch it just right to get it to catch fire. I don't know that I would call this an acceptable risk of owning an EV. Parked... Really????

Foxgrove

looneylane

What I am looking forward to looking at it from a first responder perspective is they may be switching to a ferrous (iron) based high capacity battery as other than the electrocution danger they do not burst into flames when something fails it just blows that circuit it doesn't catch on fire I am not sure other than long life stability questions why they haven't pushed harder to move to the less hazardous but fairly equitable battery innovations out there? I know some of them can't handle road vibration long term but I am sure they could figure that out if they pushed hard enough!

ronr

I'm agreed with Augoldminer 100!  The article did at least Kind of allude to the fact that even a minor collision could damage the battery.  ANY battery damage is beyond repair !!

Lots of elect bikes and scooters catching fire also,mostly in charging situation I believe.

Then comes the topic of what to do with these hazardous batteries when they are no longer useful.

With the cost of mining raw materials with polluting earth moving machines, shipping these materials to the US on fossil fuel burning ocean liners, building the vehicle with all the plastic parts (again made from fossil fuels) it is estimated that the vehicle would have to be driven 250,000 miles to break even on the fossil fuel manufacturing costs.

Yet these vehicles are being pushed on an electrical grid that will not be able to take the load and a public that can not afford the entry level prices.

Robby

GEEZ, I posted about a car with neat features (not that I want the features, just that they are neat), and suddenly we are dealing with spontaneous combustion, and fossil fuel equity. I understand these arguments, I argue as much as I can about the cost difference of just operating a single car, plus add in the cost of putting in a charging system. But, can we not just look at a car that hops up and down, and laugh about it, or look at the advancements in a car that has been dead 40 years, and say WOW, and leave it at that.

I've never looked into the fire problem, although I have noticed like the weight and cost of the batteries. Since others have strayed off topic, I will too. I saw a video a while back it was a contest between a new eHummer, and a Dodge diesel pickup, pulling a trailer. The Dodge had 700 horsepower, the Hummer over 1000 hp, they hooked up a trailer to each, and the started down the road, the hummer made it (I think) 300 miles before needing a charge, it then turned around and went back to the starting line, because there was no charging point at the far end of the route. The Dodge drove another 300, turned around and went back to the starting point. So the Hummer isn't good for someone that needs to haul a long distance, which the truck is actually advertised as a long distance hauler, but it's not. It also has a battery that weighs over 3000 lbs, and cost over $10,000 to replace. Which requires taking the entire bottom of the truck off, or taking the whole body off the frame either way.

Can we get back to laughing and wowing at the features, (Feel your childs heartbeat in the car seat, c'mon really? Feel them give you a hug? If I felt the seat hug me, I would jump and crash). But it is a neat feature, those are the reasons I posted.
/>----------

foxgrove

Ok... that's a fair statement. Got to admit... technology on the road had really gotten pretty cool. I like the innovations that make it safer but don't take over from the driver. I get this feeling that the world just isn't ready for self-driving, mostly 'cause the technology is still in it's infancy and they have a lot of bugs that I worry would lead to a lot of dead people... but also because I don't like the idea of people getting less and less complacent behind the wheel. It's already a problem and adding more gizmos simply mask the issue... driver inattention. Until we're ready to switch completely to autonomous driving, it's gonna be an issue.

Now, those gull wing doors... yeah, that was pretty cool. Hope that one is built a whole lot better than the original. Showroom models sometimes do make it to the production floor but often with a lot of compromises made along the way. Be nice to see faster actuators on the doors but hey, they are pretty cool.

Where did you see the seat that hugs you? I missed that. Also, not sure that would make me feel very secure. I've seen enough circus ride failures for that sort of thing to make me nervous right out of the gate.  :biggrin: Ok... likely safer than a circus ride last maintained in 196x.  ;)

Foxgrove

looneylane

Sorry Robbie I get carried away sometimes......ok lots of times........

Robby

Quote from: foxgrove on April 21, 2023, 08:22:44 AMWhere did you see the seat that hugs you? I missed that. Also, not sure that would make me feel very secure. I've seen enough circus ride failures for that sort of thing to make me nervous right out of the gate. 
It was on the Delorian. If you are fast forwarding, you will see her show a bracelet, stop and play, that bracelet is the connection  to the car. Real neat feature, but I still think it would scare the ::flys poo: out of me. But it is neat. I wasn't mad, just a little frustrated, more fibro related than this thread related. Sometimes threads take strange turns, and that's usually ok, but  there was a post on FB a joke about the difference between a crocodile, and an alligator. One will see in in a while, the other just later. Then over 2K comments about the anatomical differences between the two. It's like come on people leave a dead joke alone, don't make it worse. 
/>----------

ronr

Had the wandering happen on my posts and I agree about the frustration but we never have enforced staying on topic.

I don't want a car or any vehicle breathing on my neck or giving hugs.  Like the jumping up and down, just because they can doesn't mean they should in my opinion.  Just drive in the direction I want to go and leave me alone.  LOL

Robby

ron, I agree with you, I don't want those features either, but I still find them interesting, and of "WOW" quality. As I said, as far as the wandering goes, that in and of itself I don't care, it the thread needs to go somewhere else that's fine. But if someone post a joke, and it get turned into a hate filled nonsense thread, that's a little bad. If someone post a WOW thread, and it gets turned into a "these things are all evil" thread, there's a problem.

If you post a thread that you won a $5,000 gift card from Walmart, and you get no Congratulations, only Walmart is a horrible company, they treat their employees bad, they don't pay them for all their hours, they cheat them out of their insurance, and etc... Along with those contest are all rigged, and they are not fair, if you participate, it's going to cost you more than you win. At what point do you say enough is enough? That was my point, I have no bad feelings toward anyone that posted the negative comments, I know I have a tendency to post my negative thoughts about things. But if you posted something to cheer up others, and I did not like it, I would not ruin your thread by nitpicking the negative things.

A serious thread that needs to wander, I'll be the first to provide the fuel. If it's a serious thread, that will be improved by wandering. That was my point, just don't take an uplifting thread and make it a hateful thread. If you can't get behind the uplifting, then just don't destroy it.
/>----------

foxgrove

Ok... that hug and kiss thing is great but I, for one, don't think that would be the distraction I would need while driving in my car. I get distracted by shiny things for goodness sakes. Send me a hug mid drive and well... imagine if you will a driver exiting his car and speeding part it on foot while the car is doing 75 down the interstate!! :yikes:  :yikes:

Foxgrove

Robby

Fox, that demon possessed car would find itself wrapped around a tree, at 90 mph going down the road.
/>----------

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk