News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Who all still uses there CPAP Machine?

Started by BRPFan, June 22, 2009, 06:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxgrove

There are two basic types of sleep apnea (and probably a million subclassifications but I don't know anything about that).

The first type is OSA; obstructive sleep apnea.  In OSA, part of the breathing mechanism called the soft palate relaxes to the point where it blocks the air path to your lungs.  

A loose soft palate is most often indicated by snoring but that isn't always the case.  There are several therapies that can be used to battle OSA: CPAP (gold standard), oral devices (move the tongue or jaw forward), and surgery (tighten the soft palate skin).

The second type is CSA; central sleep apnea. The mechanism that causes CSA is not mechanical but rather neurological.  In essence, the body forgets to breathe.  The treatments are much more individualized and it can be difficult or impossible to treat.  The treatments include supplemental oxygen, SPAP (yes.. same as with OSA), and medications.

The real trick here is that CSA can be just as debilitating as OSA but can be much harder to overcome through therapy.

What Ben was referring to was the fact that he was diagnosed with BOTH OSA and CSA.. the CSA is just more prevalent.  During his polysomnography, 70% of his apneas (stopped breathing) were due to CSA, 30% were due to OSA.

Hope that made sense.. It STILL confuses me.. :insane:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

Central sleep apnea is a disorder in which your breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep due to lack of respiratory effort. Unlike obstructive sleep apnea, in which you can't breathe normally because of upper airway obstruction, central sleep apnea occurs when your brain doesn't send proper signals to the muscles that control your breathing. Central sleep apnea is less common, accounting for less than 5 percent of sleep apneas.

Central sleep apnea may occur as a result of other conditions, such as heart failure and stroke. Sleeping at a high altitude also may cause central sleep apnea.

Definition
By Mayo Clinic staff
follow the links for the full rundown on symptoms, causes, complications, etc.

Treatments for central sleep apnea may involve using a device to keep your upper airway open or using supplemental oxygen.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/central-sleep-apnea/DS00995

Obstructive sleep apnea is a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep. Several types of sleep apnea exist, but the most common type is obstructive sleep apnea, which occurs when your throat muscles intermittently relax and block your airway during sleep. The most noticeable sign of obstructive sleep apnea is snoring, although not everyone who has obstructive sleep apnea snores.

Anyone can develop obstructive sleep apnea, although it most commonly affects older adults. It's also especially common in people who are overweight. Obstructive sleep apnea treatment may involve using a device to keep your airway open or undergoing a procedure to remove tissue from your nose, mouth or throat.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/obstructive-sleep-apnea/DS00968
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

BRPFan

Quote from: Randall on October 28, 2009, 08:21:47 AM
What does 70% central & only 30% obstructive mean?

When I stop breathing at night 70% of the time is my central nervous system (because of CFS and or FMS) and 30% of the time it is obstructive meaning my air pipe is obstructive. I hope that makes sence.

gareth

bumping an old thread cos after an initial study with some take home equipment I should be getting a machine within 2 weeks.

Bit nervous of sleeping with a mask on but the doctor said it could well make a huge difference to my quality of life - being told that made me well up! she made it clear it wouldn't stop the pain but it should help me deal with the pain better but the real thing will be waking up refreshed, more energy, less daytime doziness, hopefully less irritable and be able to think a little clearer. I know I'm building it up too much just hope I don't get sorely disappointed...

The graph for an hour's 'sleep' was incredible, seemed at least once a minute or more I was 'waking' as I gasped for air - a real shock!

BRPFan

Sorry to hear Hermitical that you too have Sleep Apnea and have to use a C-PAP machine to sleep at night. It will take a bit of getting used to sleeping with it at night but don't worry, just keep using it as much as you can and before you know it, you won't want to sleep with out it on.

I even use my C-PAP even for daytime naps. For myself it was no Miracle machine but at least I am not waking up choking and gagging all the time, and for that in it's self is well worth it for me. I think my mind is a bit more clear during the day when I use the C-PAP machine.

Good Luck Hermitical with your C-PAP and getting used to sleeping with it!
Ben 

gareth

cheers Ben - I have to stop expecting miracles!

foxgrove

Well sorta... we do need to curtail our EXPECTATIONS but never lose your hope brother.  I do believe that the CPAP will help you even if you don't FEEL different right away.. Getting better is as slow a process or slower than getting worse.  It generally takes some time to feel the small differences but it'll come.. just give it time.

A few things.. make sure you keep your CPAP mask and hoses well washed, use a non-alcohol based wipe or soap.. no harsh chemicals.  Try on a few different masks (if that's an option for you) and find the one that fits you best.  Keep a few litres of distilled water near your machine... you always seem to run out at the wrong time.  A hose wrap is a good idea.. there's nothing quite as nasty as cold condensation in the middle of the night!!! 

Keep us in the loop bro..  Sounds like things are going in the right direction. ;)

Fox

Foxgrove

BRPFan

Good point fox about keeping your machine clean. This what I was told to go by a Resmed Technician (The people that handle sleep apnea equipment)

* Wash out your mask every night with a mid soap and face cloth
* Dump the water in the humidifier every night and rinse it out with just tap water. Refill the reservoir with the water that Paul mentioned, or what I do we have an under counter water filtration system and that seems to work very well.
* Once a week I completely take the mask apart and wash everything with a mild dish soap, I also do the humidifier reservoir tank and the hose.
* Every other week I also wash the head gear with dish soap and warm water.   

foxgrove

Oh... forgot to mention... if you have problems breathing ONLY out of your nose, congestion problems, you know.. stuff like that.. make SURE you get a mask that covers the mouth as well.  There are four basic types of masks that cover the mouth:

1. Full face mask.. It basically covers your nose and mouth with straps that go behind your head and neck.  

2. Oral masks.. they ONLY cover the mouth and have a band that goes behind the head

3. Total face masks.. they cover your ENTIRE face.. it works for faces that just won't work with the average mask.  The straps on these are prety much the same as for a full face mask.

4. Hybrid masks.. They combine the mouth section of an oral mask with something called nasal pillows for the nose.. think of them as springy straws that seal to your nostrils.  The straps for these are easier of the neck and depend more on the top of the head.

I just switched over from using a full face and a nasal mask (but not both at once) to a hybrid mask.. It is the CAT'S MEOW!!!  It allows me to watch TV or read to fall asleep.. something that was very difficult with the other masks.  It is also MUCH more comfortable.

I was also told that if you have problems with the straps causing pain.. my problem was the strap that went across my neck.. look for masks with thinner straps.. thinner actually means LESS PRESSURE LOAD.. Also look for a strap configuration that doesn't press on tender areas like the back of the neck.

Anyhow.. the prices between all of the different styles (except for the total face mask) are pretty much the same so if you have a choice, keep that in mind.

Fox

Foxgrove

BRPFan

I have to use a full face mask because I breath through my mouth and my nose. The first full face mask I had was a real noisy one at the plastic adjuster. Every time I would move with it on, the darn time would make noises like mad!!! I was finally fed up with it so I took out the super glue and made sure I had the mask on the correct setting and I glued it together.

After that the mask was much better!!! Seeing I am on our Government Program for Sleep Apnea, I get a new mask of my choice every year for free and I choose the Mirage Quattro full face mask with a full head ban, here's the web site: http://www.resmed.com/us/products/mirage_quattro/image-gallery.html?nc=patients&sec=true
I really LOVE the Quattro mask and my next years one will be one like that as well!!!

I also for no charge to me get a new hose, machine filters and both the outer and inner and 10 of each as they advise changing the filter almost every month.  All this I get once a year seeing I am on the Provincial Program for Sleep Apnea. 

gareth

wow, it suddenly got all technical - like I'd stumbled into a garage with a guy and some of his friends fixing an old motor!

thanks for all the advice guys - I'm not sure how much choice I will have it being the underfunded NHS but fingers crossed!

BRPFan

Don't feel that it's over technical, it sounds worst then what it actually is.

The biggest thing to remember is don't give up on it. Even though you will find yourself taking the mask off through out the night, just keep using it and have patients. Before you know it you will not want to even have a nap with out using your C-PAP machine. At least that's how it been for me and other tell me the same thing.

Another important thing to do is keep it clean, other wise it gets way to gross and you won't want to wear it.

See that's it!!!

Good luck Buddy!!

gareth

jbonham

I was only diagnosed with sleep apnea about two months ago after I was diagnosed with FM in April. I can't get used to the darned thing. I have a nose mask only which, for the most part, is OK. I ended up having to suspend the hose so that I didn't roll on top of it during the night while sleeping. I don't feel the machine works for me as I still wake during the night and get up every morning feeling as though I have been in a horrible auto accident. My doctor removed me from the medications (Cymbalta & Lyrica) due to the fact that I saw no improvement. He seems to think the cpap machine will do the trick and help me get better rest and relieve some of the pain. My conclusion so far is that if the machine doesn't help after two months it may never help and being off of meds designed for this condition or ones similar to it can't bee good.

I find myself using pain medications that my doctor prescribed for my back. I have had back surgery in the past and the pain from that is far less than the pain from the FM. The medication for the depression doesn't seem to help either but all the same I will continue to use the cpap and take the depression medication just in case "one day" it decides to kick in.

Judd
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia April of 2010 along with a myriad of other ailments.

Lucky1

Welcome jbonham.   I would not let anybody take away my Gabapentin or Lyrica. I would get more elsewhere.    Cymbalta is the best anti-dep. if you have FM. (it is chemically similar to Lyrica)  I am not a Dr.  .... But I play one on TV.     Just my opinion, but your C PAP like CRAP to me.  Why bother if you have not noticed any difference?    Pain pills+herbs are a must for me also. Or there is no relief.  We are interested in doses & meds. that other folks with FM are taking.   Check" Pain Control"  IF you want to,post what you are taking, & what works for you.   SEEYA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk