News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

Court Rules Stolen Valor Act Illegal

Started by ronr, August 25, 2010, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronr

An appeals court panel in California ruled that federal law that makes it a crime to falsely claim valor is unconstitutional. The decision involves the case of Xavier Alvarez of Pomona, Calif., a water district board member who said he had received the Medal of Honor. Alvarez pleaded guilty on condition that he be allowed to appeal on First Amendment grounds. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sided with him in a 2-1 decision, agreeing that the law was a violation of his free-speech rights. The court said there's no evidence that such lies harm anybody, and there's no compelling reason for the government to ban such lies.

http://www.military.com/military-report/court-rules-stolen-valor-act-illegal?ESRC=miltrep.nl

Link article:  http://www.military.com/news/article/judge-rules-stolen-valor-act-illegal--.html?ESRC=mr.nl
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

96fan

Leave it to CA to let someone STEAL valor. Thats BS and needs to be overturned..

96 fan

pizzaman242

Look up Loren Duke Abdalla on Google and read his story then hear it from his own lips. Here is a WWII vet who should have been recognized for his bravery and valor, but due to the fact that he is part Native American he was denied any recognition. He is my Dad. They called him The Indian.

Sadly I tried for years sending letters to all kinds of Congressman and other state officials both here and other states. Tried finding others from his unit who were there and I got squat.

But my nephew is politically connected and he for some reason suddenly decided to get involved. Now since he has gotten involved he has been received several letters of commendation and his home state of South Dakota has declared his birthday as Loren Duke Abdalla day. So he accomplished what I couldn't. You should see all the flags that have been sent to him that have flown over different state capitols including one from the White House. But he is just now receiving some recognition at the age of 87. See what happens when you are politically connected.

Today he is almost completely deaf and almost blind from his injuries. He has gone from a 10% military disabilty to 90% in recent years all age related, his injuries got worse. But he is still sharp and very independent.

So here is a Vet with a real reason to expect some recognition right up the Congressional Medal Of honor and only claims his Purple Heart, because that is all he has been granted. but believe it, if they decided to give him a medal, he would have the vanity plate the next day.

Anybody claiming that they have something that they have no right to especially the highest honor given. Let him meet my Dad a true hero.
Brady
The future has many names: for the fearful it's the unknown, for
the reckless it's the adventure, for the pessimists it's the
unattainable. For the brave, it is opportunity

foxgrove

Well said Brady!!!  I'm so glad that finally he is receiving some of the recognition that his bravery earned him long ago.  It still digs hard at me to think that race, colour, or gender should ever be looked at as something derogatory.  It's a telling sign of what we are as a society.  I'm glad to see some of those boundaries being torn down.

I'm also glad to be both the brother and the father of first nations folk.  My sister was Dene of what is now known as the Sayisi First Nation, born and raised in Churchill and The Pas until she came to be adopted by my family.. I was her little brother. She died of her own hand in 1977 when I was 8 years old.  My son-in-law is Oji-Cree from the Wuskwi Sipihk First Nation..  I think he's the cat's meow..  Me.. I grew up in one of the most bigoted places in Manitoba, right in the middle of 8 different First Nations peoples.. surrounded by some of the meanest folk anywhere.. especially to minoroties.  All that being said.. all this bigotry STILL surprises me.  It's never made any sense to me.  So sad.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

jaiser

I'm glad to hear your dad is finally getting the respect and honor he deserves.  Please thank him for his service for me.

Old Crab

AS a vet. I have to call Bull Shit on this one. It is a matter of honor and the earning of that honor.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
ALGEBRA SUCKS!
I need a hug!

NMDave

I couldn't access the articles but it looks to me like he falsified his resume to get elected to the water board. I wonder if he still holds that position. If any of the rest of us made up stuff to get a job we would get fired. I hope he gets what is coming to him as way too many people work and sacrifice for us and get no recognition.

looneylane

Those who dont deserve it tend to get away with lying about it and the ones who do tend not to fight for recognitionas they feel they just did what needed to be done. Vain people seek the limelight while true heroes dont mind working in the dark places that those cowards would never go to. Most volunteers in fire rescue prefer not to have their faces in the paper occasionally you get a glory hound who only shows u for big things where a camera might be and only look busy when they see it. Was at a bad wreck and one guy showed up that in two years he has never helped at any but of course he mugged for the camera. Has never helped at a call and didnt help at that one we call them glory hounds wont lift a finger to help you but want all the recognition. Another friend went int a burning building and rescued aa guy a week later pulled a guy out of a submerged vehicle the guy who phoned it in got an award from the government and so did the cop who stood on the side not one of the firefighters who did the actual rescue even got a mention in the paper. We reward the cell phone user but not the guy putting his life on the line what a crazy world we live in.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk