News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

So far, so good

Started by Arrunk, October 25, 2010, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arrunk

Well, I made it all weekend without a cigarette and I am still (relatively) sane. I have made it three days. That may not seem like long, but it is longer than I have gone without smoking in almost 25 years. I am not saying that I am quitting, but I am just choosing not to smoke today. I can't tell myself that I can never do it again because that is one sure way for me to buy a pack. Spending $7-$8 a pack is ridiculous. Especially when it is for something that is so bad for you. I watched my mom and both of my grandparents on her side die of emphysema and COPD. There is a good chance I could end up with that too, and I really don't want that on top of everything else.

Okay, I had better stop writing about it...now I am starting to want one.  :wacko:

Randall

arrunk, congrat's on making it 3 days!  That's a big accomplishment.  One day at a time is a principle for almost all recovery programs.  Are u using any patches or other helps?  or going cold turkey?  I recall hearing long ago, that a smoker's lungs will slowly clear up when the smoker quits.  So eventually, u'll feel the effects of breathing w/o nicotene.

Any change in your fibro symptoms?
Best wishes & I'll be pulling for u, one day at a time...
Rockin Randall

countryboy

Way to go guy.  Good luck from one who won.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

BRPFan

Hey way to go!!! 3 days is a very good start, like mentioned do you use a patch or gun? Take it one hour at a time as I know what you are going through as on the 28th of this month (day after tomorrow) it will be 4 years since I quite smoking. I used the patches and the gum and it work very well.

Wow they are alot cheaper where ever you live (must be USA), here they are like $13.00/pack of 25. Just think of all the money you will save yourself but more importantly your health.

Take Care and I am rott'in for you!!!

Ben 

Arrunk

Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it. I am having a bad day and I really want one.  :emowall:
But I am going to try a put it out of my mind. I have been using the nicotine lozenges (mint flavored since I smoked menthol cigarettes). They do take the edge off. I am also using Breath Savers mints to supplement the lozenges since they are about the same size. I have used patches and gum in the past, but they didn't seem to help.

Wow, I can't imagine paying $13 for a pack of smokes. Of course, I swore when they hit $5 a pack I would quit. Yeah, right! I haven't noticed any changes in my fibro symptoms, but it has been rainy and very windy here today and I think I am achier because of that.

avorado

Arrunk: this will indeed be one of the toughest things that you have gone through. But believe me that it will be worth it at the end.
Just recently I had a chat with my doctor about cigarette smoking and he told me that they are one of the most dangerous things on the planet at the moment. There are so many chemicals in cigarettes now that they are the causes of many cancers in our body.
    I salute you for the efforts that you have put forward to quitting. It does get easier as the time passes and eventually you will be an x-smoker.
Keep up the fight. The saying is... the hardest parts are, 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months.
Best of luck.....and keep up the great effort....
Henry

Arrunk

Henry, Thanks for the encouragement. I am having a better day today. I still want a cigarette, just not as much as yesterday. I noticed this morning that I am able to breathe out of both nostrils at the same time. I haven't been able to do that for a while.  :smile: Plus, I realized that today is Wednesday and if I make it to Friday, it will be a week without smoking. I am still taking this day-by-day, but that is a goal I want to reach.

Rich

Lucky1

Find a dirty ash tray, and when you are craving, sniff the dirty ash try a few times, repeat if necessary.

foxgrove

Congrats Arrunk!!!  That's FABULOUS news!!!  When you are quitting something there IS only today..  Yesterday is already spent.. tomorrow is anyone's guess.. all we can make decisions about is today.  So here's to today!!!  :clapping:

Praying for you brother!!  This is a hard thing and we are already faced with hard things all over our lives.  I'm super proud of you!!  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Arrunk

Well guys, I made it a week and then started smoking again.  :emowall:

I got stressed out at work and bummed one off of a co-worker. By my lunch hour I was at Walgreens buying a pack. That week was the longest I have gone without smoking in 25 years. I will try again soon.

Rich

countryboy

We all fall down at times.  But when the time comes, you will try again and hopefully win.  Lots of luck.  :hi:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

avorado

Arruck: So you had a minor slip....we have all been there. The one thing that you have shown is the desire to quit and that is a major step.
          Congratulations on making it a week and that shows that you can do it. I am sure that you will give it another go with longer success each time.
          Well done for the first attempt. Keep fighting the fight....
          Henry

ronr

The next time will go even longer now that you have that experience under your belt.  You will know what to expect when the pressure is on and how to deal with it better.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Zathras

Don't beat yourself up too much over this slip. My GF smokes and if I remember what she told me once it takes three tries for most people before they are able to successfully quit. You have the desire to quit and that is the most important thing.

foxgrove

Hey brother.. just remember that winning is simply getting up one more time than you fall down!!!  Take it one craving at a time and don't worry about what you DID.. past is past.. no changing it.. tomorrow.. who knows what'll come..  only thing that matters is right now.. Got you in my thoughts and prayers bro.

Fox
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk