News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Safety of Electronic Cigarettes

Started by ronr, December 22, 2010, 09:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronr

n a first of its kind study, scientists examined scientific evidence about the safety and effectiveness of these innovative inventions.  These battery-powered devices offer tobacco-less doses of nicotine in a vaporized solution. 

Few, if any, chemicals at levels detected in electronic cigarettes raise serious health concerns," which the authors of the study were quoted as saying.

"Although the existing research does not warrant a conclusion that electronic cigarettes are safe in absolute terms and further clinical studies are needed to comprehensively assess the safety of electronic cigarettes, a preponderance of the available evidence shows them to be much safer than tobacco cigarettes and comparable in toxicity to conventional nicotine replacement products."

The report reviewed 16 laboratory studies that identified the components in electronic cigarette liquid and vapor.  The authors discovered that carcinogen levels in electronic cigarettes are up to 1,000 times lower than in tobacco cigarettes.

Full article at: http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=25982
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

SBOwFibro

The whole fiasco with e-cigs are a classic study of industry insider-ism with big tobacco. It really makes me mad. Here we have a new product that has no fire, isn't stinky, and has potentially less nicotine, and It's being banned by states for concerns of vague unknowns.

They need to prove that they are "safe". CIGARETTES AREN'T SAFE!!! Since when is the criterion for a vice safety? I'm not against smoking per se, but I think there is no criteria... its just a limitless sky of concern meant to keep traditional cancer sticks in sales. I doubt a Ford Expedition would pass for safe by whatever imaginary standard they are trying to hold e-cigs too.

If there is a valid concern, a specific scientific reproducible concern, than sure we'd all like to know. But this is just a perfect cocktail of nanny State with mega-corp encouragement.
Weakness is pain leaving the body.
Fibromyalgia: It gets on your nerves!

foxgrove

So true.. I had worries at the beginning too but then wisened up and realized that we were talking about the equivalent replacement of a bullet in the chamber with a blank.. dangerous.. well.. yes, potentially.  Lethal, certainly not as lethal as the bullet by a HUGE margin!!!  It's quite stupid for the health department to drag their feet on this one but yet still allow cigarettes to be sold!!!  Bizarre.  Something tells me Jonathan's right.. the tobacco company MUST be putting HUGE pressure on someone to kill these things!!
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

basspoet

I just ordered mine last night. We'll see how it goes. Need to quit smoking before the wedding in August.

Steve

SBOwFibro

Quote from: basspoet on March 03, 2011, 10:44:35 AM
I just ordered mine last night. We'll see how it goes. Need to quit smoking before the wedding in August.

Yeah I'm sure we'd all like to hear how that goes. Keep us posted.
Weakness is pain leaving the body.
Fibromyalgia: It gets on your nerves!

augoldminer

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

basspoet

Good articles! I've been doing a lot of research on these lately and have read both the good and the bad. I think that it's primarily a smear campaign financed by Big Tobacco to keep people buying their product. If nicotine is deemed 'no more harmful than caffeine' when used in products such as the patches and the gum, why should the e-cigarette be any different?

basspoet

Got the e-cig's in the mail last night. I used it all last night and really liked it. I had 1 pack of smokes left, so I'm smoking those today and then I'll be going completely with the e-cig.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk