News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Two Week Flare Up

Started by Catie, July 21, 2011, 01:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catie

Dan's trigger point in his left shoulder blade has been tensing up so bad it's been making his arm spasm, it'll wake him up in the middle of the night, and his whole arm has been going numb on occasion. I rub it at least once a day with Tiger Balm and when I'm not rubbing it, he has a Tiger Balm patch on it. I'm sad and out of ideas.  :( Anybody have any suggestions?
"Some people are in your life for different reasons. Some to learn lessons from, others to help you along your way. I'm there to make you realize how strong you really are."
-Fibro Warriors

ronr

http://www.myofascialtherapy.org/symptom-checker/
http://www.round-earth.com/ShoulderPainIntro.html

These two sites should give you some ideas on trigger points that will affect his head, neck, shoulders, and arms.

You should apply a steady pressure to these locations to try to work out the knots that are undoubtedly present.  Combined with heat, this may help some in addition to the tiger balm and lots of gentle stretching.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

foxgrove

Hiya Catie..  Sorry to hear Dan's shoulder is giving him trouble.  I can relate right now 'cause my shoulders and my neck are absolutely killing me.  I HIGHLY recommend learning to use your fingers to help relieve some of his trigger points.  As my therapist says, "there's nothing like fingers to make trigger points disappear".  

Two books which got me working trigger points better were The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies and Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain: A Survival Manual 2nd Edition by Devin Starlanyl.  Devin's book is much more concerned with the whole person whereas Clair's book deals solely with trigger points, how to locate em, what to do with em.. The only beef I have with Clair is that his book is clinical as opposed to home remedy.. That means that often he advises the use of treatments we don't have access to at home.  That being said, it's still an excellent manual on trigger points.

There is a great video on HOW to treat trigger points here.. http://treatyourtriggers.com/Trigger-Point-Course-H.html.  He has a series of good videos to help you that you can sign up for free.. The only side effect of which is that you'll get lots of e-mail from him.  No biggie...

Best of luck and keep us in the loop.  I hope Dan's flare goes away quickly.  You're in our prayers. :bighug:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Catie

Thanks for the book reccomendations. I just requested them from the library. I'll have Dan take a peek at them and if he likes them, I'll find them on Amazon.

He's upped his Lyrica to twice a day now, so hopefully the extra pills will help him too, although he's still up between 6 and 7 am with pain.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this isn't the new "normal". =(
"Some people are in your life for different reasons. Some to learn lessons from, others to help you along your way. I'm there to make you realize how strong you really are."
-Fibro Warriors

msuguy02

When nobody is around, my massage therapist told me about Theracane. It definitely helps putting direct pressure on the trigger points in the back without having to exert yourself too much. I use that whenever I need to and am even considering buying one just for my office/cube.

Biofreeze is also hit or miss for me depending on the severity. I definitely struggle with the shoulder pain on a constant basis and wake up consistently because of it. I'm sure you guys have tried biofreeze as well? Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it's worth a shot?

Wishing you both the best,
Andy

foxgrove - edited for link clarity

striker308

Catie,

This is all to close to home, here are some things I do:

memory foam (mattress and pillow) when the triger hits hard on one side or the other I use a wedge to lean me away from it so I'm not lying on it.

Tems unit helps with the spasims

Invesion table and stretching (My wife will bring my arm up over my head and put steady presure on the triger point/shoulder) HURTS LIKE HELL!

but it stopps the spasim after a few min, Good luck :(
"Attitude is the paintbrush of the mind, Pain is a power sprayer on full blast." Me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk