News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

How do I ask

Started by psycomustang, August 13, 2011, 01:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psycomustang

Ok I have been dealing with this pain for awhile I still work full 50hrs a week my pain level usually hovers around an 8 and spikes to 9 or ten on bad days. anyway to the point my GP sent me to rheumatologist she gave me official diagnosis gave me gabapenten and sent me home with a new appointment in 6 months  :( When I started it it worked for a few days and was back at square one called her she upped it to 1800mg a day didnt work called again and gave 25mg of tramadol twice a day may as well of not taken anything except for the headaches it caused. Called back she couldnt do anything untill next visit 4 months out  :emorant: Well at that point I had enough my wife has RSD and as a result she has her own pain management well she offered for me to try her lyrica it eased the pain brought to a 6 or 7 on a constant basis then she let me try her  Oxycodone and OMG I could function pain level was 2 or 3 of course I over did it the first time and thought I was normal (decided to lay new flooring in Bathroom where as day before I couldn't hardly walk). She only gives me one when she sees that Iam just destroyed I never ask for it since it is her medication and I dont want her to suffer But how do I tell doctor that this is what works for me with out looking like a just another drug seeker to this doctor.She has already told me if its "just"  :glare: Fibro that she will let my GP manage it and that she doesnt as a Rheumatologist . I dont know what to do any guidance would be helpful

Hollywood

Just fibro :emorant: Get another doctor. just fibro :jawdrop: :blowup:
Stephen Michael Dirse

countryboy

Go to your GP and be honest. (UP to a point).  Just explain what the rheumy has given you in the line of meds and tell him/her that those meds just didn't work.  I would then tell the Dr. that a friend let you try the Lyrica for a few days and it help some, but the Oxycodone that he let you try worked quite well.

Try and assure the Dr. that you don't want other drugs, just something that helps and that these two seemed to do what you need done to keep on working and have somewhat of a normal life.  Be sure to state that the Oxycodone was only taken when the pain was very bad. 

If the Dr. doesn't want to RX those drugs, then go to another Dr.  It wouldn't hurt to get another opinion from another Rheumy either.  The hardest part as you have said, is to let them know that you are just after more drugs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

countryboy

Hey Hollywood,

Thought about you and decided you were doing so well that maybe you didn't need or want to stop by and say HI  :LOL:

Good to see your smiling face again (It must be that x-ray vision I have had lately).  Man that is nice, but it might get me into trouble if I don't watch out.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

ronr

It is a touchy subject indeed, unless you know your doctor quite well or he is treating your wife also.

I would be straight forward with the doc and tell him the wife offered you some of hers when you were laid out and unable to move or do anything.

You don't need to say anything about laying the floor but instead you can make her out to be a hero because you were laying ON the floor and couldn't do anything but crawl to the bathroom.  That also makes her out to be not as much of a bad guy for giving her drugs away.

There is a PAP Patient Assistance Program for Lyrica if you meet their financial guidelines.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

Zathras

I'm going to disagree with my esteemed brothers on this one - don't tell the doctor anything about taking medication from your wife unless you are 100% certain that the doctor will not freak out about it.

What I would do is tell the GP that the rheumatologist said 'it's only fibro' and did not do enough to help you get the symptoms under control. A little research on line would tell you that you can take up to 3200mg of Gabapentin per day and a very little more searching (or just asking here) will tell you that once past 1800mg per day of the Gabapentin and Lyrica is clinically proven to be more effective.

Also tell the doc that your pain levels remain very high and broach the subject of narcotic pain medications. If your wife sees the same doctor he/she might be willing to prescribe some for you as well.

Ask the GP to refer you to a chronic pain clinic since the rheumy was such a bust. The unfortunate problem down in the US is that with the DEA poking their nose into medical practices down there and sending some pain doctors to jail the ones that are left are reluctant to prescribe narcotic pain medicines. That might make it a challenge to get an RX for some Oxycodone.

psycomustang

Thank you for all the replies sorry I didn't answers sooner Ive been down for a the last 2 weeks and now just feeling like I can move again. Ive left meassages with my GP everyday and no call back My rhumy said to just up Gabapentin again I think its time I find new GP unfortunately my rhummy is only one with in 120 miles but I will find someone to help I am sure  :biggrin: 

ronr

The GP might think you are pestering him, but if nobody in his office can return a call in two weeks, then you need to start calling someone else to try to find one that is more knowledgeable, will work with you on trying different things to find what works best for you personally, and has a bit more compassion.

Just from your last comment, this doc sounds like he has a god complex and does not have time to deal with your petty problems while he is making money on other patients.  JMO

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk