News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Recommendations for canes

Started by mab52, April 08, 2013, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mab52

I've only had a handful of times when I used a walking stick to get me up and about. It's big and heavy, so it's not too suitable for everyday use. I do need something if I have to stand for any real length of time so I've been looking at canes. Any recommendations? I'm not so wobbly that I must get a quad cane, but I don't know if that's a better device or what other features are most desirable. I tend to fall down every once in a while, so the sooner I get something, the better. I fell today in a store and my right hand is throbbing as a result.

WolfSoul

Ah! Something near and dear to me. I have 6 canes and two carved wooden walking sticks.  :biggrin:

In all honesty, the one I use the most is my $20 from CVS/pharmacy. It is aluminum and adjustable. I have also ordered from fashionablecanes.com.  I wanted something a little "classy" for going out. (Which I don't do much of anyway. lol)

For $14.95 I purchesed an all rubber quad can tip and I love it. It has a smaller "footprint" than the all metal quad canes, if you know what I mean. I tried the wrist straps and the clip on things that are supposed to balance your cane on the edge of a table. SAVE YOUR MONEY! They are so not worth it. Trying to use those things, my cane ended up on the floor more often than a cheap hooker.

The rubber quad I bought (they don't have the one I have on the cvs.com website but they do have this: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/Juvo-Stand-Up-Cane-Tip---78-Gray?skuId=909920 sorta similar.

Anyway, I like it because you can let go and the cane stands there until you need it again. And if you do bump it over, you can step on the rubber part (slowly) and the cane will lift up to you.

So, that's my 2 cents. Good Luck

old-man/cane old man w-cane

WolfSoul

Edited to add: Also, make sure you have it the right length. You can cause yourself more pain if the cane is the wrong length. Just google "cane length" and you'll find how to measure.

mab52

I'm very aware of the measurement issue. I was trying out a cane the other day in the thrift shop and it clearly was too short for me. Crutches are easy to find and there are always walkers there too. Canes are less common.

I like the tip converter idea. The usual quad cane looks too geriatric even if I'm a klutzomatic old hobbler.

The funny thing for me is that a cane is the closest I'll get to "open carry". Maybe it's time to brush up on my stick fighting. old man w-cane

ronr

I got one of these walking sticks a long time ago when they were at Kmart for like $10-15.  Looks like they are harder to find in that particular variety now.  http://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Gear-SG66201-Hiking-Pole/dp/B000GGTSD8/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Aluminum, adjustable as a walking stick or hiking stick.  Only bad comment I have is the rubber tips I could not find a replacement.  I took a rubber table tip and a little elect. tape to adjust the size to fit the replacement. 

Looks like the new variety is not red but seem to be the same thing.
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=8&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=QepbINpLFGDZD6x07-RgOA&pq=swiss%20gear&cp=15&gs_id=1e&xhr=t&q=swiss+gear+walking+poles&es_nrs=true&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=swiss+gear+walk&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44990110,d.b2I&fp=2427af151a7ccdbd&biw=1240&bih=744
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

WolfSoul

This is what I have on my cane. I think it's great. You can let go when you need two hand and the cane stays upright.

http://www.wdrake.com/walterdrake/displayitem.aspx?id=342738&rcmd=342738

mab52

I wound up getting the same quad tip at a local pharmacy along with the aluminum adjustable cane but I haven't installed just yet. It adds a bit of extra weight to the end and I need to get used to the difference in balance. Probably better in the long run, but I want to see how I do without it. I need to build up some grip strength, so this should be a motivation to do it.

countryboy

After trying 4 or 5 different canes and having the problem of falling and braking my ankles 4 different times, I finally got the 'HurryCane'.  It was reasonably priced and I think it is great.  The handle part is flat and the shaft is almost centered to the handle.  It does break down into 5 different links, but mine has never buckled or came apart unless I pull it apart.  The foot part is triangle shaped and only 3 inches in length.  The shaft is attached to the foot part so that it can bend and the foot is placed solid when you walk.

There are 3 1" rubber pads on the bottom of the foot that can be replaced if needed.  They are great on wet surfaces and I have never had it slide away from me.

I paid $29.95 for mine, but I ordered a second set of rubber replacement pads. I don't think I will need them as the original ones are still just like new and I have used it for over a year now.

You can see them at www.TheHurryCane.com  you can also email them for a brochure at success@thehurrycane.com

It is advertised on tv as the cane that stands alone, but the surface has to be quite level.  It is not as cumbersome as those canes with the 4 feet on them.  This is light weight aluminum and adjusts to any height. 

This is just my personal preference.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

countryboy

I still use my walker that has 4 wheels and a seat when I leave the house if I know that I have to walk quite a long distance, but my hurricane folds up and fits in the seat well so I have it when I get where I am going. 

I don't like the walker and don't use it if possible.  I will park it and use my cane most of the time.  I still am a little nervous walking with my cane on uneven ground that is grassy or has gravel or rocks.  I never know when my knee is going to buckle on me so the flatter and smoother the ground the better.  I refuse to use a power type scooter until I am unable to get around on my own two feet.

5 years ago after a botched knee replacement I was told that I would never walk again without using a walker or a scooter.  I am proving them wrong.  By the end of this year I am going to be walking without a walker all the time.   :emomad2:

foxgrove

I love the idea of a hurry-cane... wish it came with a palm grip instead.  I've bent most of my early cane handles as they couldn't stand up to the strain but since I went to a palm grip where the palm pushes right down on the pole part of the cane, I haven't bent a single one... I've impacted the top of one of them pushing it down an extra 1/2" but never bent any.

In case you're wondering, 6'2" and 250lb at the beginning.. down to 225lb now.  I've been told I stand a wee bit heavy on my canes but my shoulders seem to handle it better than my hips do...

Love the ideas you guys have put together.  I've even gone as far as putting cane holders on my 4 wheeled walker just so I push as hard as my body will allow and no easier.  I know.. wild and crazy guy right.  well.... not really. :lmao:  I'm hoping one day to be able to perambulate in public without any canes or walkers but until that day, good ideas gents.  :great:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

countryboy

Fox,

You have me by 3 inches in height and weigh 25 lbs less than I do and I have not bent the handle on my hurricane as the shaft is centered in the center of the handle.  And believe me, I do put a lot of pressure on the cane a lot of the time when I am using it.  Kind of hard to have the correct posture for walking when you have bent over a walker for 5 years.

I have been using the tread mill at the gym where I swim (or I should say splash and stretch in the water).  I only last for about 5 minutes at a very slow speed and I do have to hold on to the sides for support.  I was holding on to the bar in the front and leaning forward most of the time, but now I can stand up straighter and just hold lightly on the side rails.  Not much,  but progress is progress.  One of the trainers that I have talked to a few times comes by once in a while and says "good job".  That means so much and makes me work a little harder.  Then I crash at home and take about a one hour nap.  It kicks my butt, but I will continue as long as I can.

Been trying to go twice each week, but some times I can only manage one time during the week.

WolfSoul

Quote from: mab52 on April 08, 2013, 08:08:05 PM
I'm very aware of the measurement issue. I was trying out a cane the other day in the thrift shop and it clearly was too short for me. Crutches are easy to find and there are always walkers there too. Canes are less common.

I like the tip converter idea. The usual quad cane looks too geriatric even if I'm a klutzomatic old hobbler.

The funny thing for me is that a cane is the closest I'll get to "open carry". Maybe it's time to brush up on my stick fighting. old man w-cane

There is this: http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51

Welcome to CANE FU!

mab52

I picked up a couple of videos to study up on the use of a cane if someone decides to get unpleasant. Sadly the former option of using sneaker fu no longer applies. :emowall:

looneylane

I used to have a nice cane but I got carpal tunnel from it... :emocurse:

foxgrove

CB.. thank you.. that helps to know it'll hold me up.  I hate breaking things because of my size.. then again.. it came in handy when we needed to take walls down and stuff like that.  Now, I just take em down by leaning against em really hard..  :lmao:

...sneaker fu... :lmao:  Love that one!!!  :rotfl:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

WolfSoul

Quote from: looneylane on April 24, 2013, 01:12:43 AM
I used to have a nice cane but I got carpal tunnel from it... :emocurse:

Would a palm grip style work better for you? I know it is usually for arthritic hands but maybe it can help?    :dunno:

old man w-cane

WolfSoul

looneylane

Maybe? Hopefully I wont need it again at least for a while! I havent needed the cane since 2010 it was a lifeline for a while.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk