News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Exercise program

Started by RedMachine, January 10, 2009, 05:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zathras

DB, have you thought of trying an exercise bicycle? The recumbent ones are just like sitting in a chair.

But I know what you mean about the exercise program, most doctors push it very hard for FM patients but have no answer when you tell them that it causes the pain and fatigue to get worse.

I am currently trying to get back on my exercise program but every time that I have tried since the nasty cold over the winter I end up hurting myself no matter how low I have started.

db

I have tried a bike using an extension to provide support for my neck and back.  I also was able to ride a bike.  What changed for me was the realization I had 100's of trigger points in my leg regions. 

I was able to get them treated aggressively with accupuncture but it was taking along time for the extra pain to go away.  I'm allot better now but have not wanted to start stressing them out too much.  Swimming would seem a little safer for now.

db  :emowall:

Zathras

If you decide to try an exercise bike again ask if the facility has a recumbent cycle. You are sitting in a chair with a full back support on one of those, not a bicycle seat. The leg position is also different as you have the pedals where a footstool would be rather than below the seat. I find them much more comfortable to sit in and pedal than a traditional exercise bike.

One thing to consider about the pool. Make sure what the temperature is prior to going in. The one facility where I have used the pool is used for swim competitions. When they have one of those they lower the temperature in the pool for it. It takes time for that temperature to get raised back up so on the Monday following the swim meets that pool was mighty cold. NOT good for someone with FM to be getting into that pool, let me tell you!

foxgrove

For warm water therapy, anything too cool.. somewhere around 90°F.. will NOT give you the benefits you want.  It will be too cold to allow the muscles to relax with the temperature. 

HOWEVER, I have found a few ways to still use a pool like that.. a full body wetsuit helps greatly, even the thin ones (2.0mm).. I also got a special heating belt developed for surfers in Australia called a "Hotsuit Belt" (you can buy them online and have them shipped from a supplier inside the US) which will give you quite a bit of warmth inside a wetsuit.  They run somewhere around the $70 mark.

I've used a shortie and my full length in pools and been comfortable with both..  As a sanity check, I wore my thickest wetsuit and my Hotsuit belt while swimming in a lake whose average summer temperature is somewhere around 46°.. the belt and suit kept me at 97° the whole time!! 

While the benefits are there, wetsuits have their downfalls.  Getting a wetsuit on and off can be a painful and exhausting process best done by two.  The extra resistance from the wetsuit will wear you out faster and you'll have to adjust your routine accordingly. 

A special note if you are on Fentanyl patches, do NOT let your heart rate race too high or work too hard or the resulting heat you produce may cause an unconsciousness.  NOT good in any situation but seriously not good in a pool!!

I really hope you are able to make the pool thing work for you.  I'd LOVE to be able to get back in the pool but there are other considerations in my case.  Even with my sensitivities, it was by far the best therapy I have been able to find to date that gives me some real benefits.  Maybe one day I'll be able to work this out.  ;)

Be well.. low pain.

Fox

Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

tojo

Ought to come down and enjoy the Gulf of Mexico this summer Fox. (teasing you)
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

foxgrove

Oh... trust me..  I would LOVE that to bits but the likelihood is pretty slim.  Summer is Jo's busiest time as the bees are making honey galore and need lots of attention to keep enough boxes available for more honey.  I loved our trip to the Texas coast back in 2000 (camped out on Mustang Beach for 2 days.. talk about addictive). 

One of these days though... maybe we'll have to make it a winter getaway thing.  :clapping:  You know.. as soon as that oil well comes in in our back yard.  :lmao:

Foxgrove

tojo

Mustang Island state park is only about 15 min from where I live. That would be so cool to have y'all come and visit and be so close.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

foxgrove

That WOULD be so cool!!  Wicked idea.. Now we just have to convince the kids that living on the beach for the winter would be SO much better than sitting in boring classrooms...  {well.. it's just a though..  OK OK... I'll put myself on timeout!! }  :emolaugh:

I remember Corpus with a lot of fondness.  Great place for just about everything... well.. we DID notice that all the houses on the island were designed so the hurricanes came right through them and they just opened the windows and let er rip... Don't know that I could get used to that.  :insane:  We'll only do non-hurricane days.. We'll just have to fly back on our private jet during the stormy days huh...  :lmao: :rotfl:

We now return you to your normal programming..  This insanity break has ben brought to you by the letter Q and the number .725.  :insane:

Foxgrove

db

The hot suit belt looks good.  I googled it and for $50 there is one that would last a hour.  I can't see needing one longer than that.

db

Zathras

Fox, just add it to the list of things that you are going to do after you win that big lottery jackpot. Put it right beside the trips to the tropical islands and other warm climates that you will take so that you never have to deal with another prairie winter.

foxgrove

YEAH!!!!  Great idea Zath!!  Thanks for the idea.  :emolaugh: :lmao:  I love it!!!  :rotfl:

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk