News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Combat TaiChi?

Started by RingAndReed, November 03, 2013, 10:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tai-Chi is meant for:

Flakey, dreamy body flow courses
2 (28.6%)
Restoring mobility and coordination.
5 (71.4%)
Recovery from serious incapacity.
3 (42.9%)
Self-Defense.
1 (14.3%)
Building a strong mind in a strong, capable body.
2 (28.6%)
What? Isn't that a meal?
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

RingAndReed

I'm sure many of us here had some exposure to Tai-Chi... But what is it, exactly?
I could (and will) spend a lot of time and effort on this topic because it helps me like crazy! But first, what are people's views, if any?
Robin "des hautbois" Tropper
M.A.Sc., B.Mus.

mloved

During my worst fibro years, 20 minutes of Tai-Chi gave me really bad flares.  Switched to 10 minutes of senior citizen stepped down level and still bad flares.  At that time I still could "levitate" up real trees.

I like hanging from that string though and all the fluid motion.  Now I can do waist down, no problem, and can almost put a foot behind my neck standing up, centered/balance - but still have to basically leave my arms out of any routine or else.  But now I have to use a ladder to get up a tree.
Not my will, but Thy will be done

Imagine - John Lennon

Groundhog Day - the movie

Where the mind goes, the body will follow

foxgrove

Tai Chi can be amazing for the body but I speak strictly of the form of Tai Chi that I was taught, Taoist Tai Chi.  I can't really speak to the efficacy of other forms though I know of several that have made something that is in the same line of the original forms including combat and competition.

I've been a member of the Taoist Tai Chi society here in Canada for many years.  There are two main aspects to this specific brand of Tai Chi...  It is designed strictly for the betterment of one's health and the improvement of body function.  Basically, Master Moy Lin Shin, a naturalized Canadian originally from China, spent many years studying ancient forms of Tai Chi in order to re-discover the health benefits that the founders had designed it for.  These aspects he then took forward and designed movement around the Yang Tai Chi patters.

The health recovery program available through this non-profit vounteer organization is simply amazing.  It got me off my bed to begin with and got me moving again.  I attribute the fact that I was able to continue working for two years after my fibro pain took my ability to function away to having been part of this incredible program.

Essentially, Tai Chi (or taiji), specifically Taoist Tai Chi is all about relaxation.  In the regular Tai Chi sessions, the basic movements are taught and through practice and repetition of the movement, students slowly come to be able to relax into the set and gain health benefits that way.  In the health recovery sessions, the foundations of the set are used much more frequently and students are taught first how to relax and move before they are ever challenged to simply memorize a set of movements.  The focus is on an individual basis and is tailored to each person's challenges and abilities. 

Through it, I greatly improved my strength and my ability to relax and deal with pain.  The reason that I stopped using the resources available at the studio is the fact that while this is available for all people and they don't push Taoism on students, each studio is actually an active Taoist temple.  Over time, it pricked at my conscience until it was no longer possible for me to attend.  This is not to say that Christians cannot avail themselves of it, simply that my conscience would not allow ME to.

Functionally, I was able to climb stairs again, walk a block at a time, stand and sit without as much assistance (depending on the situation and my fatigue levels), and gave me numerous pain reducing techniques through gentle stretching movement.  I still practice the movements and rely greatly on many of the techniques in my daily fibro battles.  Personally, I would recommend this version of Tai Chi to everyone without reservation.

Fox
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

DatonK

Does anyone one know much about the lee style TaiChi as this is the only one in my area.
Jesus Is Live IN ME. Follow of the Way to the Father Look To Jesus.

Fibromyalgia. It isn't terminal but it will still take your life. Zathras

foxgrove

Sadly you're right.. The closest Taoist Tai Chi centre to you is down in Grantham..  Quite the hike!!  (and I double checked.. the only Health Recovery classes are done in Cambridge!!!)

From what I know and have seen of the Lee style, it uses much more arching of the spine than on the lengthening and twisting of the spine as is strictly emphasized in the Yang style.  Arching of the spine is extremely difficult and potentially problemsome for chronic pain folk.  Some of the moves may be challenging for you if your balance is not up to snuff but that will improve over time.

That being said, a lot of it will be in how you are taught.  If they allow adjustments and modifications for your physical condition and take fibro's limitations into account, it may be a wonderful experience.  If they have little or no experience taking an unhealthy person and helping them maintain what they have or improve slightly, your chances are better.  If they expect everyone to be up and moving on the floor like they were 18 again, you're in deep trouble.

Hope that helps some.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

looneylane

Kamloops has a Tai chi group that meets regularly but the ones out here always die off as the instructors never stay long enough for a local person to take over.

DatonK

Thanks for that Fox will do more looking.
Jesus Is Live IN ME. Follow of the Way to the Father Look To Jesus.

Fibromyalgia. It isn't terminal but it will still take your life. Zathras

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk