News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

pain in the chest

Started by wmoore, May 14, 2014, 07:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmoore

This happens every so often. When I swallow a gulp of water, It goes down my throat like a ball, and a pain starts in my chest as the ball goes on down. This pain explodes outward, across, even shoots down my arms. And lasts several seconds. The first time it happened, I was brushing my teeth, and I thought my head was gona pop right off! Does anyone else get this?

looneylane

Costochondritis maybe? Fox may be able to help you more

countryboy

I get those quite often, and the first thing I think of is that it is the start of another heart attack.  My Dr. gave me some type of reflux medication that was suppose to stop or at least control this, but it sure hasn't worked.  I keep thinking that one of these days it will be the heart and I won't respond quick enough.  Only used my nitro twice during the last couple of years, and both times I am sure it was just the air bubble.  My cardiac checks have come out fine.

I sure know the feelings you talk about. 
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

AJohnsy

I've had a similar issue multiple times.

For me, its usually just on my right side. I always describe it as "I feel like I'm having a heart attack, just on the wrong side."

I've mentioned it to my doctors who have no clue what it could be.
- Adam

"Live by the foma that makes you brave and kind and healthy and happy."

ronr

I have had this from taking a gulp too but not down the arms . . . yet anyway.

Personally I don't think it's Costochondritis but then I'm not a doc either, and have not been diagnosed with Costo.  Since FM effects muscle issues I think that the esophagus is somehow out of sync and the muscles are not working correctly to perform the swallow sequence. 

I know there is exercises, therapy, they do to help elderly people with swallowing but have never looked it up to see what they are.  Rwillie was doing them before he passed, may he rest in peace, but he had previously had throat cancer and I never heard if they actually helped.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

foxgrove

Yes.. I've had that exact thing happen and I gotta say, each and every time it happen which is far to regularly for me, I'm never quite sure if I'm going to survive it and then a few minutes later it's all over and the ache starts to subside.  It's very very frightening!!!.

I'm pretty sure it's related to my GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).  There is a condition that comes with GERD called an esophageal spasm and the pain symptoms match it to a tee.  I haven't had a chance to sit down with my doctor and speak with her about this but thank you for the nudge.. NOW I'm writing it down to talk with her!!  It looks like there are tests that can be done to determine whether this is the issue and even meds that might work to control it.

Talk to your doctor.  I know how scary those suckers are but more important, chest and arm pain is never good to ignore.. let your doctor tell you things are OK.  Better to be safe when it comes to your ticker!!

Be safe.. stay strong.  :budy:

Fox
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk