News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Fibro/Virus Article

Started by DEL, December 18, 2014, 06:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEL

I suppose getting a pool cue and using them as suppositories on the headache cause could also work-faster! :emocrazy:
"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

Sleep Mode zZ

10 years ago a smaller drug trial investigated valacyclovir on fibromyalgia. It concluded that it performed not better than placebo and was not recommended for treating fibromyalgia. That confirms for me that the antiviral part of the combined drug can not be very effective on its own. The talk about this new drug being a "game changer" is PR bullcrap.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15088307

looneylane

I still wish Vioxx was available it worked well for me with only small doses of pain killers so there was less risk of dependency

foxgrove

Trying to remember.. they pulled vioxx because it caused heart problems or something??
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

looneylane

:LOL: Yes but ti was effective for me. It had an increased possibility of heart related issues.

foxgrove

Yeah.. thought I recognized it.  I have a good friend who took Vioxx for her rheumatoid arthritis until it was pulled from the shelves.  Said it was a miracle pill for her!!  Sucks that it turns out to be dangerous for so many folks.  I know Charlene was pretty distraught when they pulled it as it meant that she had to stop working again.  I think they've found some meds that work pretty well now as she's back part time but geez...  :dunno:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Sleep Mode zZ

It was because of heart issues but also as much about the way Merck handled the situation - hiding the information instead of being open about it. They had evidence that Vioxx (rofecobix) increased the risk of myocardial infarction four or five times compared to naproxen but kept it to themselves. Doctors should have been informed so that they would have known about the risks and prescribed it more wisely.

Now we know that the figure of 4-5 times more myocardial infarction was also to some extent also attributable to the fact that naproxen - which was used as a comparison - reduces the risk somewhat compared to placebo. We also know now that close to similar risks are also associated to most NSAIDs. Ibuprofen also increases the risk of myocardial infarction but has never been studied to such an extent as rofecoxib and naproxen  were. One comparative study estimated 0.82 for naproxen, 1.61 for ibuprofen and 2.12 for rofecoxib (Vioxx) - but the estimate for ibuprofen is based on smaller samples and it could as well be better than naproxen or much worse than rofecobix. It is not a problem as long as nobody knows for sure?

There are other cardiovascular events in addition to myocardial infarction that NSAIDs do also increase. Rofecoxib does better than most NSAIDs (ibuprofen included) regarding strokes. Overall it is really no worse than other NSAIDs.

Anyway, the risk is with long term high dosage use - so looneylane was not in any practical risk with an occasional Vioxx.

Furthermore, the risk of a cardiovascular event does not increase in the same way for all users - it increases especially for those that have other risk factors present - and possibly not at all for those that do not have any other risk factors. Vioxx was investigated more thoroughly than ibuprofen ever was but they then unethically chose not to publish some relevant information - and that probably unnecessarily cost many lives.

With most drugs we don't know about their risks to the same extent. Ibuprofen you can still buy without prescription.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk