News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

I can't even find a lawyer willing to represent me

Started by SleeprLegend, May 20, 2015, 02:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleeprLegend

So far I have applied twice for disability myself with a denial both times.  I have contacted a large lawyer group that was not interested in me once the figured out that I was 6 months short of eligibility for the one that pays more.  The other day I talked to a local lawyer that specializes in SSDI and knows about Fibromyalgia, though she didn't know men could have it.  She informed me that no lawyer will want to take my case because it will be to difficult to win with little payment.  I then offered to pay her in advance and she still passed on my case.  She recommended free legal aid.  :emomad2:

Do I have to use a lawyer in GA since I live here?

Does anyone know of any lawyers in Atlanta that take these types of cases?

Lonesome George

The only way I got a lawyer was after my first denial I went to see an ex-state senator I know.  He put me in touch with a friend of his that is a certified disability attorney.  They don't seem to be doing a whole lot or taking too much interest in me. I thing I'm just a favor for a friend case. I don't have lots of different doctors or a lot of visits to the ones I do have. Once I found out I had fibro I only go for refills or if something new pops up that needs attention.  I can't afford to go to the doctor and waste both our times and my money to tell him I'm still hurting.

SleeprLegend

Quote from: Lonesome George on May 20, 2015, 04:28:21 PM
The only way I got a lawyer was after my first denial I went to see an ex-state senator I know.  He put me in touch with a friend of his that is a certified disability attorney.  They don't seem to be doing a whole lot or taking too much interest in me. I thing I'm just a favor for a friend case. I don't have lots of different doctors or a lot of visits to the ones I do have. Once I found out I had fibro I only go for refills or if something new pops up that needs attention.  I can't afford to go to the doctor and waste both our times and my money to tell him I'm still hurting.

I am trying to do this alone, but I do have some resources.  My grandfather knows many lawyers and politicians.  He was sued by the IRS in ATL for over a million dollars.  By the time his lawyers were done the IRS paid him more than his attorney fees.  Unfortunately he insists I can do it "just like all those other people" and have disability by getting a doctor to sign a note.  I do have an uncle in ATL that is a retired attorney.  Maybe I will give him a call.  I can only see this case being taken seriously if it is a "favor" deal.

Robby

If you have asked everyone you can find, I see no reason why you can't call one of the firms that advertise on tv. I think basically what those firms do is contact where you live, but they probably already have a list of company partners in each state, that they call. I'm sure that they can either call someone from a different part of the state that hasn't turned you down, or if they call, it will get taken. I don't know much else. But, since you don't have to have any kind of license to be a disability advocate, I don't see how it matters where they live. Just keep us updated.
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

foxgrove

So sorry to hear that SleeprLegend...  It sucks that the lawyers are backing away from this one.  Really gives you pause to think how screwed up a system is for the people who're supposed to be it's guardians shy away from doing what's right.  Other than your uncle, I guess getting someone to take it on pro-bono might be the next shot.  

The difference between you paying them a little and them doing it pro-bono is that many lawyers and lawyers-to-be are REQUIRED to do a certain amount of pro-bono work per year and this would basically mean they can continue to bag big rich clients while doing their hours on your case.  In essence, they get their cake and can eat it too.  If they agree to a smaller amount, they STILL have to do their pro-bono work on top of that, taking away from their yearly bottom line.  

I hate that you're even having to chase this thing still.  Welcome home by the way... missed you!!  I hope things at home are going better than things in the legal system.  Got you in my prayers bro.  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

SleeprLegend

Thanks for the great replies!  After more thought I do have connections to a few lawyers I can ask.  The first group of lawyers was recommended by a fibro group.  The second one was a lady I found online that has a blog and lists fibro as an issue she handles.  The part that got me was when she said the judge would hold it against me because I have survived this long without SSI. 

Robby

Quote from: SleeprLegend on May 20, 2015, 06:36:56 PM
the judge would hold it against me because I have survived this long without SSI. 

Only depending on the rate of escalation. That is how it's supposed to be, that doesn't mean that's how it is.
/>----------

Lonesome George

Quote from: robby k on May 20, 2015, 05:03:37 PM
If you have asked everyone you can find, I see no reason why you can't call one of the firms that advertise on tv. I think basically what those firms do is contact where you live, but they probably already have a list of company partners in each state, that they call. I'm sure that they can either call someone from a different part of the state that hasn't turned you down, or if they call, it will get taken. I don't know much else. But, since you don't have to have any kind of license to be a disability advocate, I don't see how it matters where they live. Just keep us updated.

I called the firms on TV and when they asked what was wrong with me, the answer was "Can't help you".  None wanted to touch Fibro even though I had a doctor filled out and signed RFC forum stating I was disabled, had been for years, and he was my doctor before I had fibro. I had and have documentation, just not stacks like a lot of people do.  Most SSDI lawyers only want slam dunk cases, and fibro is definitely not one of those cases.

looneylane

With the way legal aid is now in Canada the best you can hope for is they send you to an advocate.

Robby

George thanks for letting me know that, I'll know next time this comes up. But, in defense of my naivety, if you read my next post, I do say "way it's {supposed} to be".
/>----------

SleeprLegend

After seeing that others had rolled the dice that is picking an attorney based upon advertising I decided to try it out.  I found http://www.georgiasocialsecuritydisabilityattorney.com/?doing_wp_cron=1432175583.8482251167297363281250 had 80% of the top results in the first 2 pages.  I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.  I really don't like the idea of hiring a lawyer that advertises on tv, but my options are dwindling.

Lonesome George

Quote from: robby k on May 20, 2015, 07:26:02 PM
George thanks for letting me know that, I'll know next time this comes up. But, in defense of my naivety, if you read my next post, I do say "way it's {supposed} to be".

Oh I know what you meant. There are many things that are "supposed" to happen, like me getting disability after not being able to work for so long, but that ain't happening either. Doctors are supposed to listen and take me serious, but that's another thing that ain't happening.

willie

When I first contacted a lawyer for my disability, I was told by all that I called that they won't help until you've been denied by Social Security. They said that since EVERYONE gets denied the first time, there was no money in it for them until the second attempt. If you think that lawyers are there to help you, think again. They're only in it for the money. Just like all the rest of those people that claim to be there to help us!

ronr

Disinissues website -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues

You can review the Yahoo! Groups Guidelines at
http://groups.yahoo.com/local/guidelines.html

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Disinissues-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Join this group, ask a few questions and listen to what they say. 

The site is Disinissues Disability Insurance Issues and their purpose is to share experience and advice about the processes of obtaining and maintaining Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and long term disability insurance.  The group is targeted mainly towards those with invisible disability due to CFIDS or other conditions not on Social Security's Listing of Impairments.  Benefits professionals are welcome if here to learn or to help.  The Moderators are a few people who have worked for the SSA or Insurance companies.  Most of them are disabled.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

SleeprLegend

brownyboy

I'm going to need prayers for my case should be coming up in a couple of months. :smiley praying:
Living in beach mode

SleeprLegend

Quote from: brownyboy on May 21, 2015, 01:39:10 PM
I'm going to need prayers for my case should be coming up in a couple of months. :smiley praying:

You got it!   :smiley praying: :bighug: ::Amen::

SleeprLegend

Quote from: ronr on May 21, 2015, 09:41:36 AM
Disinissues website -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Disinissues

:yikes:  :cheerleader: mod dude

That is exactly what I needed!  This information needs to be posted somewhere on this forum permanently.  This is the true value of a forum to me.  It is the combination of experiences of many people in one specific area where they all share to help each other along the way.  Now all we have to do is archive the information so others can find it easily.

I can not thank you enough!

The link to find a good lawyer!
http://www.cfids-me.org/disinissues/lawyers.html

SleeprLegend

Well don't I feel stupid.  Some how my fibro brain has added a year since I quit working.  The lawyer I found on the above list wanted me to re apply since it had been over 60 days.  As I go through the application I decide to confirm my last working date and I then realize it has only been 11 months since I quit working.  Maybe I can use the fact that I applied twice for disability truly believing that it had been a over a year as evidence of my disability.  I hate feeling stupid about such things, but I really did think it had been over a year and a half.

The lawyer is the best btw.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk