News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Chronic Pain Conference

Started by Robby, August 28, 2015, 05:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robby

I can't make it, and from what I know most of you are in the same shape I'm in, but I had to share, would have been wrong not too.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=40753121-4f9f-4c2a-b118-3fb3385f1866&c=6a6a8dd0-acdf-11e4-84d6-d4ae528eb27b&ch=6af5dde0-acdf-11e4-8551-d4ae528eb27b

National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association

August/2015

Crystal Gateway
Marriott Hotel

Make hotel reservations now for the TAP & Chronic Pain Conference and qualify for  a special room rate until September 11.
Call 1.877.212.5752 and ask for the TAP Chronic Pain Conference room rate of $135 plus taxes.
- Or -
Make your reservations online by clicking on the TAP logo below

It's free!
It's easy!
Become a member of the National Fibromyalgia
& Chronic Pain Association
today.

Forward this email
to a friend

25% Off
Summer Blowout Sale!

NFMCPA Online Store
Save 25% on all items
with coupon below

SHOP NOW

Come to the TAP Chronic Pain Conference Dinner and hear pain expert Dr. Lynn Webster present information regarding his
new book, an intimate
collection of stories about people living with disabling pain, their attempts to heal, and the challenges that we collectively face in helping them live meaningful lives.

The Painful Truth

DonateNow

Come to the TAP Chronic Pain Conference and hear Author Elizabeth Christy talk about her book:

How do you explain chronic pain
to your kids?

New book for children
and parents 

Who has inspired you? 

How?  When?  Where?

The NFMCPA would like to spotlight people who make a difference!

Please send your tribute to info@fmcpaware.org 

Looking for Fibro Facts?

eyeglasses-black-and-orange-outline 100x61

Click here to learn about symptoms, diagnosis, science,  treatment ...

Our Recommendation for
Appropriate Exercise

from
Oregon Health and Sciences University
  is
backed by
25 years
of exercise research

DVDs showing
How to Safely Move and
"Science of Fibromyalgia"
by
Dr. Robert Bennett

Find more info here

Looking for an article in an earlier newsletter?

Interested in sponsoring
the next

Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Advocate Voice
Newsletter?

Please contact us at  info@fmcpaware.org

Treating & Preventing Chronic Pain Conference Special Addition

Don't Miss Out!
ONLY 4 DAYS LEFT TO GET YOUR EARLY BIRD TICKET FOR THE TREATING & PREVENTING CHRONIC PAIN CONFERENCE

Brought to you by the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association and the
International Myopain Society
October 8-10, 2015 at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, VA

An educational opportunity for people with fibromyalgia and chronic pain and the health professionals who treat them.

The Treating and Preventing (TAP) Chronic Pain Conference is your chance to learn about scientific studies that have been cited in the NFMCPA Advocate Voice newsletter and the
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE  magazine by the actual researchers performed the studies.

Don't miss out on:
The early bird rate for your TAP Chronic Pain Conference tickets of $265 until September 1 when they change to full price of $295.
The special Crystal Gateway Marriott hotel room rate of $135 plus taxes which ends September 11 when rooms will increase to $175 plus taxes.
Why you should be there:
People with fibromyalgia and chronic pain will have the opportunity to learn from experts about these conditions and what they can do to help themselves, including how to access resources that can be helpful in the reduction of fibromyalgia and chronic pain symptoms.
Health care professionals who want to learn more about fibromyalgia and chronic pain including the science of these conditions and effective approaches to treatment.
Caregivers of people with these conditions so they will better understand what they can do to help those affected by these disorders.
What benefits will you gain by attending the TAP Chronic Pain Conference?
More scientific knowledge about fibromyalgia and chronic pain to help elucidate new concepts including treatment options.
Tools to help people learn how to better manage their symptoms and the resources to help them in their homes and local communities.
The opportunity to ask questions and receive answers from experts in the fibromyalgia and chronic pain medical and research community.
Meeting others who share your diagnoses and time to compare notes and learn from one another.
Learn more about the National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association and the International Myopain Society and the resources these 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations have to offer both people coping with these conditions and the health care professionals who treat them.

TAP Chronic Pain Conference Speakers Highlights

The speakers and topic lists have been developed to offer attendees not only insight into the science of fibromyalgia and chronic pain but to also open doors to resources that can help improve their quality of life.  How many times have you wished you could talk to a professional who knows and understands fibromyalgia or other chronic pain conditions?  This is your chance to gain answers to your questions.

For the last four years the NFMCPA has offered constituents the Advocate Voice newsletter and the Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE magazine in order to share articles generated by some of the top researchers in the chronic pain field.  Here is a reminder regarding some of those authors and learning about their presentations at the upcoming TAP Chronic Pain Conference:

Daniel Clauw, MD will give the Keynote Address:  Diagnosing and Treating Chronic Pain Based on Mechanisms. The three objectives of his talk will be to: 1) Identify the three underlying mechanisms that can cause chronic pain 2) Identify the most effective pharmacological treatments for each underlying pain mechanisms, and 3) Identify the most effective non-pharmacological treatments for chronic pain.  Daniel Clauw is a Professor of Anesthesiology, Medicine (Rheumatology) and Psychiatry at the University of Michigan. Dr. Clauw continues his commitment to clinical care and research into overlapping conditions such as fibromyalgia, Gulf War illnesses, and Interstitial Cystitis. He is an internationally known expert in chronic pain, especially the central nervous system contributions to chronic pain states, performing past or ongoing work in conditions such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, Gulf War syndrome, low back pain, osteoarthritis,vulvodynia, endometriosis, irritable bowel syndrome, and temporomandibular joint disorder.
Read more about Dr. Clauw's work in centralized pain on the NFMCPA website.

Look for articles by the following TAP Conference speakers in the
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE Winter 2014 edition.  Click on the magazine cover to take you to the articles mentioned below.

Kim Dupree Jones, FNP, PhD will give a talk on Friday, Oct. 9, identifying why movement is critical for people with fibromyalgia and myofascial pain.  She will discuss physiologic problems that make exercise more challenging for fibromyalgia and myofascial pain patients and how to safely modify an exercise prescription for this population with a special emphasis on yoga and tai chi.  On Saturday, Oct. 10, she will team up with Dr. Kathleen Holton a neutitional neuroscientist to run a workshop on nutrition and exercise for people with these conditions. Dr. Jones is an associate professor in the Schools of Nursing and Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University in Portland, OR. Her area of expertise is fibromyalgia, a chronic pain disorder primarily affecting women. Read more about Dr. Jones and her work in the NFMCPA Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE magazine, page 5.

Frank Rice, PhD is a highly regarded biochemist who has an extensive background in neuroscience.  Dr. Rice's presentation, Hyperinnervation of Arteriole-Venule Shunts in the Palms of Fibromyalgia Patients : Implications for Symptoms of Widespread Deep Tissue Pain and Fatigue will focus on his research findings of small fiber neuropathy in people who have fibromyalgia.  Conference attendees will be introduced to recently discovered pathologies in the cutaneous innervation of fibromyalgia patients.  Dr. Rice is a world renowned expert in the normal organization and development of cutaneous innervation and has made major discoveries of pathologies in the structure and chemistry of the skin and its innervation related to a wide variety of chronic pain conditions including fibromyalgia. Read his article in the NFMCPA Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE magazine which explains his research, page 11.

William Collinge, PhD, MPH  is the principal investigator of the Fibromyalgia Wellness Project sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Collinge will speak about his project that develops and evaluates an online behavioral symptom management program (the MindfulHealth system) that uses personal health informatics and single subject analytical methods to deliver automated, individualized guidance for optimal symptom reduction. Over 900 participants from 18 countries participated in its development, and utilization of the program is tied to significant reductions in symptom levels. The MindfulHealth system is now being launched and Dr. Collinge will teach audience members how to take advantage of this online program to help them manage their symptoms. Dr. Collinge is a consultant, author, speaker and researcher in the field of integrative health care.  You can read more about Dr. Collinge's work in the NFMCPA Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE magazine, page 26.

Click on the Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE Spring 2015 magazine cover to take you to Dr. Rosenfeld's article on sleep apnea and fibromyalgia, page 11.

Victor Rosenfeld, MD is a neurologist who is an expert in the area of sleep abnormalities and fibromyalgia.  His most current, pivotal article, Quantitative EEG during polysomnography in patients with and without fibromyalgia will be his presentation topic at the TAP Chronic Pain Conference.  This study points to the possibility of using polysomnography as a diagnostic tool for FM.  Dr. Rosenfeld is board certified in Neurology and Sleep Medicine, Director of Neurology and Sleep Medicine at South Coast Health in Savannah GA. He is a frequent CME lecturer and has numerous publications in the areas of Neurology and Sleep Medicine. Read about the findings of this study and learn more about the association of sleep to fibromyalgia in his article in the NFMCPA Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain LIFE magazine, page 11.

Meet Other TAP Chronic Pain Speakers and Learn about their Presentations
Wolfgang Bauermeister, MD, PhD is a physiatrist and major contributor to the development of novel techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of problems related to fascia and
muscles. Through his scientific work and applying his findings, Dr. Bauermeister has developed a process to image myofascial pain trigger points before and after treatment. 100% of people with fibromyalgia and a very high percentage of people with other chronic pain conditions have myofascial trigger points that add to the complexities of appropriate diagnosis and treatment and, ultimately, relief for the patient. Through this technique patients and their treating clinicians can now view myofascial trigger points in real time and then see the results of treatment.  His process is utilized in Europe and other parts of the world but it is not yet approved in the US. Dr. Bauermeister's presentation at the TAP Chronic Pain Conference will help elevate his work and open doors to this technology in  this country. On Saturday morning he will give a talk about his imaging and treatment techniques: Ultrasound-Elastographie, a novel imaging technology to make trigger points - the major cause of musculoskeletal pain - visible. In the afternoon he will run a two hour workshop teaching health professionals and patients about his work: Ultrasound-Elastographie for the imaging of Trigger points and the effects of different treatment approaches.

Andrew Holman, MD, a rheumatologist and scientific researcher in the areas of fibromyalgia, arthritis and other chronic pain conditions will give a talk on Friday, October 9  regarding Positional Cervical Cord Compression (PC3) in fibromyalgia patients including its association with autonomic arousal and sleep apnea. On Saturday, October 10, Dr. Holman along with Sue Horton, PT will run a two hour workshop on using the PC3 protocol to identify positional  cervical spinal cord compression through MRI and demonstrate a physical therapy program that has been developed to help people with this condition gain a better quality of life.  Dr. Holman is CEO and Co-founder of Inmedix, LLC; President and Clinical Rheumatologist at Pacific Rheumatology Associates and Pacific Rheumatology Research, Inc.; and Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Washington. Recent research interests include hypermobility syndromes, use of heart rate variability (HRV) assessment of autonomic tone to predict and enhance treatment response in inflammatory arthritis, exploration of obstructive sleep apnea as a cardiovascular risk among patients with inflammatory diseases, as well as evaluation of positional cervical cord compression (PC3), a novel cause of widespread and regional pain as well as autonomic arousal among patients with degenerative cervical disk disease, fibromyalgia, migraine and chronic fatigue. Read his PC3 article in Practical Pain Management.

Preventing Chronic Pain Campaign

Dr. Jim Fricton, president of the International Myopain Society will give a talk at the TAP Chronic Pain Conference, Saturday morning about the Preventing Chronic Pain Campaign and run a workshop on the same subject Saturday afternoon that will help patients learn how they can benefit from this online resource. In September he will launch an Indiegogo crowd sourcing campaign to help fund a series of chronic pain tool boxes.  This important program can not only help prevent chronic pain but give the tools necessary to teach patients how to temper their symptoms and live better quality lives.  Become part of the solution and get involved! Please visit the website for a preview of the campaign. More information to come regarding the launch of the Indiegogo fundraising activity. As part of this fundraiser, you could give a donation and receive free admission to the TAP Chronic Pain Conference!

Visit the Indiegogo Preventing Chronic Pain Campaign website. Become part of the solution and get involved!

This newsletter highlights some of the TAP Chronic Pain Conference speakers and topics. Please watch for another conference announcement next week with information about additional speakers and Saturday workshops! Click on the button below to
see a full conference program and schedule.

SUMMER BLOWOUT SALE!   
25% off
all items in NFMCPA online store

Raise awareness & be ready for September Pain Awareness Month!
Click here for your savings!!  Use code: summer2015

Your purchase helps support the advocacy and free education work of the 
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association.  Please help us continue our mission.

Copyright© 2014 National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association (NFMCPA)
The National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association is a nonprofit, tax-exempt charitable organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Disclaimer:  Please consult with your physician for medical care and treatment. The information in this newsletter and website is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
Contact Us
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

ronr

Quote from: Robby on August 28, 2015, 05:09:35 AM

Don't miss out on:
The early bird rate for your TAP Chronic Pain Conference tickets of $265 until September 1 when they change to full price of $295.
The special Crystal Gateway Marriott hotel room rate of $135 plus taxes which ends September 11 when rooms will increase to $175 plus taxes.

That's reason #2,  the travel is #1.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

denny

I cant imagen.
It would be pure hell.
Thanks for sharing but id rather reserve myself for a science fiction con.!
As if i could.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

foxgrove

Wouldn't mind reading the transcripts though...
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

looneylane

Yes definitely want to hear what comes of it!

countryboy

When the same conference was here and I posted that I requested either/or both copies of the seminar material or DVD I thought I might get some response, but as usual I have heard nothing yet.  That was about 6 weeks ago.  I will contact Dr. Bennett's office to see what I can get.  He is from here and heads up the fibro and chronic pain divisions at Oregon Health Sciences University hospital.  He is a great speaker with lots of knowledge.

Will keep you in the loop if I get a response from him or his staff.

The one here was the first one in a series and was only one day long with no charge.  But, 40 miles is a long way off when you are taking chemo.  : :( :
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

Robby

Thanks CB, really do want to know the outcome, not only of this one, but of the series. I guess I got signed up from when you posted about it, I couldn't remember the other day, when I got the email.  :giveup:
/>----------
I will put you in the trunk, and help people look for you, DON'T TEST ME.

DEL

I appreciate that there is an organization out there doing things like this, I really do.

BUT...I can't afford to travel, get a hotel room, or buy "Fibro goodies" regardless of special sale prices. I guess one has to be in better

shape financially, physically, and mentally to really be an active association member...

Guess I'll just remain a broke Fibro-Knight for free!
"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

foxgrove

I found the same thing brother.  I guess I don't fit the model for a proper fibromyalgia survivor.  How come it COSTS to be part of their world?  By the way, while I'm on it, where's all that energy to be playing with the kids I keep seeing on the TV adds??  I should be flipping cartwheels by now!  :emorant:

OK.. got that out of my system... ish. :biggrin:

Fibro-Knights forever!!!  Broke R US!
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

They have either found a miracle to allow them to function on a level to attend or they never had the kick your butt variety we are so graciously allowed to experience.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

DEL

That's a big part of the reason people think we're malingerers-people who can function but supposedly have Fibro

get all the press and can make it to conferences where they can help set the agenda.

Those who cobble up the miracle dope wouldn't be able to sell it if smiling actors didn't look transformed...so those

of us on the short end of the :poop: stick can't get any official love :emocurse:
"Today, you will be with me in paradise."

I have to be me; no one else wants the job!

Praise God and Pass the Ammo!

If only my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle!

denny

Official love...official money for research would be good.

Official pain relief would be best.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk