News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Ringing, Hissing, and Popping in my ears

Started by fibrofool, March 29, 2012, 08:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fibrofool

Anyone else have problems with their ears like this.

I have pain and tenderness under my ears a weird popping that seems to be associated with a piece of connective tissue sliding over something.

I also have severe ringing and hissing in my ears.

I have TMJ on top of my Fibro and I suspect Thyroid issues but blood tests are useless.

I have heard of issues with the ears in all 3 of these disorders but haven't come across much in the way of treatment.

Its hard to sleep sometimes because of the ringing.

willie

I've had ringing in the ears for years. After all those years listening to power tools running, a couple years stationed on a rifle range in the military, the fibro, and the meds, it's a wonder I'm not crazier than I am! No real pain problems other than an occasional sharp pain like being stabbed in the ear. It doesn't happen very often, comes and goes quickly, and the doctor doesn't seem concerned. I usually set a sleep timer on the TV and fall asleep with that noise helping cover up the ringing. As long as there is some background noise, it's not too bad, but a quiet room makes it seem loud. I haven't really looked into getting anything done about it. There are more important matters and I really don't want any more meds. I have been told a "white noise generator" can help mask the noise but I have no personal experience with it.

wolf812

I have ringing it is like when you wake up the next morning from a Led Zep concert

I find if i sit up  it seems to be not as bad  and i can fall asleep 

like right now 12:19 cst and i am up sitting up  because the noise was too load to fall asleep

I wish there was  just one  med that worked and didnt have  side effects
Bryan Hopkins  from Wisconsin  too all I wish the best and know all are always in my prayers.

ronr

There are tons of trigger points in the neck and shoulder and trigger point ar the ones that "refer" pain.

I have found points behind the jaw that increase or decrease the constant ringing in the ears.  It may increase before you notice any decrease and remember, this is a steady pressure to  those sites.  You will likely have to probe the area behind the jaw and tilting the head will allow better access.  It seems to be associated with TMJ and you can very well find a where the popping comes from.  Take care on doing this too much all at once so you don't bruise anything.

http://www.triggerpoints.net/head-and-neck-pain.htm

http://www.round-earth.com/HeadPainIntro.html
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

wolf812

Ronr   

I have to thank you very much for the links   I  did try a few things  and  wil try them tonight   

Thank you Brother    thats why I come to this site   

I get  alittle relief  and it makes my day  :biggrin:
Bryan Hopkins  from Wisconsin  too all I wish the best and know all are always in my prayers.

ronr

It won't fix things immediately and it may well stir up other issues that were on the back burner, but on muscle is connected to another, to another, etc. until your whole neck and shoulders are involved.

It's something you can do in the privacy of your own home without going to any doctor or medical clinic and paying out the big CA$H to find out if it helps.  You will know better than someone else when you hit the magic spot.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

FDD

Quote from: fibrofool on March 29, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
Anyone else have problems with their ears like this.

I have pain and tenderness under my ears a weird popping that seems to be associated with a piece of connective tissue sliding over something.

I also have severe ringing and hissing in my ears.

I have TMJ on top of my Fibro and I suspect Thyroid issues but blood tests are useless.

I have heard of issues with the ears in all 3 of these disorders but haven't come across much in the way of treatment.

Its hard to sleep sometimes because of the ringing.

H,
I know htis is an old topic, however it popped up on a google search for hissing in ears.

I wanted to reply as I recognise the symptoms and I think it might be more than one thing....I hope this helps

1. the popping sound, that you said sounds like connective tissue sliding, is probably something that is really easily fixed - i know with fibro this is unusual to hear something can be fixed, bit for this one thing I think it can be.
I have had this before, and it was a blockage in the ears. The reasons for the blockage are many and varied form just getting old ( too muck wax), the ear being irritated by something whether detritus or infection (too much wax), a narrowing of the ear canal due to infection ( not enough room for even regular wax, and last but often the mysterious culprit - your ear can seem completely clear of wax, but you may have impacted ear wax, that is a bolus of old, hardening wax, that has been pushed down to the membrane either due to the dreadded cotton buds (doctors say never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow :-) or perhaps swimming, anywho, all of the above lead tot he popping sound as the thick sticky wax stretches and allows in a brief moment of clarity before slurping back together again, covering the membrane, and it is usually the movement of the jaw that stretched the ear canal a little, the gluey way stuck to the sideas then parts a tiny bit, popping, and then slurps together again
The solution for this, s have your doc check your ears properly, and get them to identfy if you have infection narrowing hte ear, or creating puss, for which you needs meds, but usually it is asa simple as using a good ear cleaning spray, that dissolves excess wax, or softens impacted wax to allowit to fall out of your ear as nature intended.
Possibly, you may need to have your ears rinsed by a nurse - it is not a fun process, involving a hose and lots of water etc, but once should do the trick, most of the time.

The pain and tenderness could be from impacted wax, it is small but can set really hard, and pushes against the eardrum which can end up being tremendously painful, and may even lead to ear drum perforation ( split ear drum) and deafness - so not to be taken lightly.
It might also be infection, normally the rule of thumb is that if the ear is warm, it is likely to be an infection, if not then usually not, but do check with your Doctor.

Ringing in your ears is usually called tinnitus, hissing in your ears is not the same thing, being able to tell which is which is not as simple as it sounds;-)
Tinnitus is caused by so many things, it woudl be a really long list, some go away on their own ( water from swimming for example, some need treatment - like ear infection, some are untreatable and that is where most of usfind ourselves. Mine is  due to my Pernicious Anemia, which was left untreated for years, and so I have all sorts of fun neurological and physiological damage. You really do need to have a doctor that listens to your concerns and tries all things, not just the obvious, to help you. In your case, given the tenderness ( not associated with chronic tinnitus) and the popping, sinewey feelings, it probably it just wax, however one fina note, too much ear wax  is not a hygene issue, and some illnesses have too much ear wax production as a symptom, so once your doc has removed ear infection, cleared your ears, be sure to check how often you get it back, make a note and keep your doc updated.

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to get as much info in it as possible, as not all illnesses or symptoms one has when already diagnsed with a chronic illness are incurable, but they fall into that category, so when I see something that could possibly have an easy solution I wanted to share that possibility and also say why I thoughts so in detail, so that I do not lead anyone else with similar symptoms that might have a more serious condition astray.

Hope this helps

FDD
I do not define myself by my illness so why should anyone else define me that way  :-)

FDD

ALso - I forgot a simple one - Magnesium, especially if you are taking vitamin D for pain, you need to ensure you have plenty of Magnesium, as Magnesium deficiency causes ringing in the ears :-) old-man/cane
I do not define myself by my illness so why should anyone else define me that way  :-)

db

I got the ringing in the ear things.  It seemed to start when I went on Lyrica.  I cut the dose in half and it seemed a little better.  :biggrin:

But now I'm not taking any drugs and I still can get the ringing. : :( :  Just not all the time like before.

So......like many symptoms, I don't know much.  :giveup:

I did try loud music to try to get it to go away.  It helps to distract me but didn't make it go away.

db

foxgrove

Lyrica screwed me up for a while... audio halucinations... after I had gotten off it as well but the tinnitus was both pre-existing and still-a-pain-in-my-ass.  It could be the meds but I know that tinnitus is a symptom, whether we do something to bring it on or not is beyond me. 

Loud music normally makes everything ring for a while and when it goes down, there is the old noise all over again.  Kind of like that acquaintance that once you talk to them will never leave!!!  :insane:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Olys45

Mine is an everlasting gift from the USAF...

It is the sound of freedom!

Oly
A Refugee from the Peoples Republic of Minneeesootah, living on the Prairies of Eastern Montana.

God created Aircraft Mechanics so Pilots could have hero's too!

denny

I kinda had it all along.
It wasn't until I got my deftness that it became loud enough to distract me,but since I had it all along it was easy to get use to.
I didn't do anything to cause it it just did it all on its own.
My body's kinda like that. :biggrin:

Freedom to me sounds like the AFB firing the jets afterburners at 3 o'clock every morning most my life.
I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk