News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Human growth hormone (somatropin) for fibromyalgia

Started by perseus, September 09, 2013, 02:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perseus

Hi I've had fibromyalgia for 14 years now, and had some success controlling pain using Duloxetene. However, over the past few years I seem to be suffering from increasing muscle or soft tissue damage after tensing myself or mild exercise, such as walking and swimming. One concern I have is that masking pain could be dangerous if there is any tissue damage.

Some theories of fibromyalgia suggest that that micro-tears in the fascia are a factor in the disease.  If that was the case then one might expect human growth hormone or somatropin to be useful since this hormone is necessary for soft tissue repair. Interestingly some fibromyalgia patients are deficient in somatropin, possibly because they don't get deep sleep which is when most of this should be naturally released from the pituitary gland. Indeed clinical trials have shown some fibromyalgia patients seem to have reduced pain from somatropin treatment as well as a drug called sodium oxybate which increases deep sleep.

Has anyone any experience of taking somatropin or sodium oxybate?  Rather than copy out all the details, here is a link to a thread I started on another fibromyalgia forum which provides the background to this approach and research.
http://www.fmauk.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45307&sid=420f0ac5c58bccecfcd9ff8661487e28

I started somatropin injections a week ago.  There have been no adverse side effects so far, despite mowing the lawn and having a swim during the week. I also seem to be more resistant to cold than usual (somatropin can reduce or increase hypoglycaemic sorry meant hypothyroid type symptoms). My bruised heel and bursitis on my foot remain painful though.  

However, any benefits from the treatment should take months at least, my symptoms vary a lot anyway, and sometimes I can be resilient for periods, so can't really conclude anything yet.

looneylane

Wow I would be interested in trying it depending on side effects and such. I don't think it is available here except as off label so It won't be covered.

countryboy

Medicare won't cover it here in the US.  My Dr. talked about it a few months ago, but thought it was stretching too far to determine if it would have any good effects.  Will talk again about it in November, but doubt if his attitude has changed.  He said there were too many side effects to take the risk on something that might not help at all.
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

DatonK

Will chatting this over with my doc nice time i see him :clapping:
Jesus Is Live IN ME. Follow of the Way to the Father Look To Jesus.

Fibromyalgia. It isn't terminal but it will still take your life. Zathras

perseus

Unfortunately you will need deep pockets to do this, the NHS won't help in the UK.  Not sure about other EU countries.  

With respect to side effects, the treatment for fibromyalgia is a low dose, not the larger amounts (abused) in cocktails for muscle building.  If you are short of HGH this should only be replacing what you are naturally missing. No-one says, oh I'm having side effects from my deep sleep last night!  However, a good sleep could give a healthy person a good dose of HGH, as will exercise, so it varies immensely.

Problem is HGH deficiency is notoriously difficult to measure.  

The following site is run by the researchers who have studied the use of HGH and fibromyalgia more than anyone  

http://www.myalgia.com/

and this is the section on HGH

http://www.myalgia.com/growth_hormone_deficiency_in_fib.htm

foxgrove

Wild stuff.  I'll be listening for more into on Somatropin and fibro in the future.  Some of the ideas sound promising to rebuild some of what fibro has taken.  I'm very interested in reading more about pain relief through HGH though as the guys mentioned, this is likely going to be a cure for the wealthy only for quite some time to come.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

perseus

foxgrove

Thanks perseus.. and welcome to the family.  :welcomeani:

Feel free to stop by the intro forum and drop a line about your journey so we get to know you better.  I really hope we can help you find the relief that all of us look for.  Good to have another researcher in our midst.  :budy:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

luckyBor

Quote from: perseus on September 09, 2013, 02:12:20 PM
Hi I've had fibromyalgia for 14 years now, and had some success controlling pain using Duloxetene. However, over the past few years I seem to be suffering from increasing muscle or soft tissue damage after tensing myself or mild exercise, such as walking and swimming. One concern I have is that masking pain could be dangerous if there is any tissue damage.

Some theories of fibromyalgia suggest that that micro-tears in the fascia are a factor in the disease.  If that was the case then one might expect human growth hormone or somatropin to be useful since this hormone is necessary for soft tissue repair. Interestingly some fibromyalgia patients are deficient in somatropin, possibly because they don't get deep sleep which is when most of this should be naturally released from the pituitary gland. Indeed clinical trials have shown some fibromyalgia patients seem to have reduced pain from somatropin treatment as well as a drug called sodium oxybate which increases deep sleep.

Has anyone any experience of taking somatropin or sodium oxybate?  Rather than copy out all the details, here is a link to a thread I started on another fibromyalgia forum which provides the background to this approach and research.
http://www.fmauk.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45307&sid=420f0ac5c58bccecfcd9ff8661487e28

I started somatropin injections a week ago.  There have been no adverse side effects so far, despite mowing the lawn and having a swim during the week. I also seem to be more resistant to cold than usual (somatropin can reduce or increase hypoglycaemic sorry meant hypothyroid type symptoms). My bruised heel and bursitis on my foot remain painful though.  

However, any benefits from the treatment should take months at least, my symptoms vary a lot anyway, and sometimes I can be resilient for periods, so can't really conclude anything yet.

My endocrinologist tested me 7 yrs ago and was of course I was hypo-thyroid but also Growth Hormone Deficient. I take daily injections of Jintropin HGH, by prescription and am closely monitored.

I can say that I did notice a difference within a month of using it, however that was 7 yrs ago. Today I am 70% better than before the injections, BUT it isn't a cure for CFS or FMS. I still deal with muscle ache and burning, the fatigue and chronic pain daily.

The way I understand it, it helps to regulate your insulin and glucose by balancing your proteins and sugars. Therefore you have better absorption of your foods and can feed your muscles and cells more like a person who is NOT deficient.

Just my 2cents in my experience.

db

I have had problems trying to work while taking Vicodin.  It seemed to back fire horribly. :yikes:  I was very depressed for about 6 weeks and it was a slow climb out of it.  : :( :

I think some of the drugs that "mask pain" make it easier to over do activity.  So that might be part of the issue you have.  We are like yo-yoes.  Feel better-do more-feel bad-do less-feel better.. :giveup:

Still, HG might be actually healing something so maybe in the long run can be thought of as a long term cure.  :biggrin:

That would be great but it does sound like they are unsure what the underlying problem is?   I know what muscle pain feels like but I am less clear whether my muscle are damaged.  My problem with chronic myofascial pain (CMP) might be different than yours.

db

:LOL:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk