News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

Doctors and the anti opioid movement.

Started by looneylane, April 14, 2019, 09:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

looneylane

I have been on a slow reduction of pain meds over the past few years which is what I wanted! Except I wanted nerve blocks to deal with the pain and it turns out nerve blocks will not help we found out. My Dr refuses to do anything but continue to reduce my pain meds even though I have had such severe pain spikes that I can no longer be physically active like I used to be. My heart rate and blood pressure are through the roof due to pain so now I take blood pressure medicine to deal with what wouldn't be an issue if I had effective pain control. I am well below half of what I was taking and  now I can't do anything without risk of a stroke or collapse  as the bp meds won't allow my body to ramp up when in need of energy and oxygenation. I am working with a PTSD counselor right now so that is one positive thing.

foxgrove

This hurts to read.  It's unfathomable to me that a doctor would reduce something that was working simply because it is unpopular and not do anything to relieve the resulting condition.  That's just plain bad doctoring!  I really don't give a rat's bum what pressure they are under.  A GOOD doctor will put the needs of their patients first and deal with the flack themselves.  I mean... trade ya... in a New York minute!  I'll take the scrutiny and THEY can take the pain and lack of any kind of life and mobility.  ARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

In shorter and calmer words, I so get you, brother, and it's making me madder than heck at your doctor!!!  Make sure that your PTSD doctor understands that your regular doctor is actually working against what your PTSD doc is trying to accomplish!  If they don't respond to that, I could come and whack some heads together until something intelligent comes out...  Whadda ya say?  Road trip???  :biggrin:  I wish!

Keepin this stuff flowing in prayer constantly.  :bighug:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

tojo

Sorta short post hehehehehe

I really feel for all of Y'all going through this pain med reduction and or completely taking them away. From what I have been told by the VA Dr./Pharmacist (a really smart and nice lady) is that they do not "have to" take you off of the pain meds. They have no reduced mine since that first time. I am still on 4 10mg Hydrocodone a day and 6 of the Tramadol a day. Not sure what size they are. I have not even heard from her for quite some time now. She had been checking in every 2 or 3 months to see how I was doing and discuss alternatives to the opioids.

I tried the Battlefield... they call it BFG it is a type of acupuncture where they put 5 pins in each ear to reduce pain. It was developed to help with soldiers injured on the battlefield. My hip was hurting when I walked in and it stopped hurting with the BFG pins in my ears almost immediately. It was amazing, the problem is it did not last very long. The doc that put them in said it was different for each individual. It could last 5 days (the pis fall out during the 5 days) and others only a couple. The schedule can be up to 3 times a week to have these things put in your ears. For what little pin relief I got from the pins I really did not see much sense in trying to go 3 times a week. I figure I would miss too many of the appointments because I could not get up and go into the clinic.

I thank God that the VA is able to continue prescribing the meds for me. I recently got a new PCP and I just knew the first thing he was going to do was start chopping away at my pain meds. Surprisingly he has not and at our first appointment, he did not even mention my pain meds other than to say that he would renew all of my scripts. Not the Hydrocodone and the Tramadol I have to request every month as they can not have any refills anymore. My problem is remembering to request the refill. I usually do not know I need to send in the request until I am filing all of those little pill boxes (God knows I really hate doing that) for the coming week. And then if there are any hang-ups I will have to go without for a couple of days.

The only thing that saves me is that the Tramadol and the Hydrocodone are due at different times. The only problem with the timing is that thanks to my brain the date they are delivered to me changes just about every month. I have a new reminder app on my phone that I found at the Google PlayStore. I went looking for it because I was always forgetting to set the trash cans out. My brother did not always remember to send me a reminder text the night before trash day. I don't blame him as he is an over the road truck driver for a local beer distributor. He runs back and forth all week to like Dallas Ft. Worth, up around San Antonio and other places throughout the state. He is home a few nights a week but the night to set the cans out is one of them. For two weeks now I have been able to put the cans out thanks to the app. This morning I removed the reminder and made two of them. I needed 1 to remind me to put out the green regular can 1 week and then the next week to put out the green 1 and the blue recycle can also. So the reminders are set for every other week. The app is free, there are no advertisements and not even an upgrade to pro available or anything like that so I really really like it ;)

So I am fortunate enough to still have some pain meds (cross your fingers I get to keep them) at least for the time being. The challenge will start if they take them away. My faith tells me that since pot is illegal in Texas still I cannot smoke it. I wish they get off there butts and mage the change actually happen and not just talk about it. Since it illegal I have to "OBEY" the laws that "He" has allowed to be in place. I don't think the whole phamakeia thing comes into play in this situation (but I could be wrong) as it is for pain, made by Him and I am not planning on sitting around getting stoned.

Not only my faith and conscience fall into play here. There is also the VA. In states where pot is legal medicinally, the VA has directions to leave the Vets alone other than for heir doctors to talk about it with the Vet. They cannot take anything away from them. In other states they are quiet, they could have included us but they did not. I know that if they catch you with it in your system and they check all the time they will take away your pain meds. Now on the 1st offense, 2nd or when, I don't know. I figure if they are going to take my pain meds anyway who cares if I have pot in my system. What are they going to do take away my pain meds? They plan to or have already done it so it's no big deal if they tell me they are going to take them away. Now if they threaten to take other parts of my VA care, then I might be in trouble. I will have to weigh what I am willing to do without against pain relief. The only other option legal is booze and I don't think that other than living on the street I can afford to stay drunk all month on what I have coming in.

I may be dammed if I do and dammed if I don't but as I said earlier I thank God that I still have access to and it looks like I will continue to have access to those "Big Old Nasty Dangerous Opioids." And I am so sorry for Y'all that are off of yours or in the process of losing yours. As I said I do not know exactly what path I would take if it happens to me. To possible violate my Faith and conscious or turn to booze and a life of living on the street.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

Barberian

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your doc's not wanting to provide the meds you need. Luckily the VA isn't a problem for me. Unlike Tojo, the Fresno VA will prescribe months worth of Tramadol for me. Being that I don't take it often the scrpt often expires before I use it all. I have a bottle or two as back-up in case I forget to order on time. I also have a bottle here in the truck (home) and one in my take around bag.

Walking around, like at Wal Mart, I can do for a while. Standing still is murder, any constant unmoving pressure truly hurts badly. I often start looking around for a place to sit or lay down, even though I know none exist. Laying down on a hard surface would be much, much worse. I laid down on the ground on concrete once for about 15 mins. It took me around half an hour to get back up. I was alone, late at night in a park.  :yikes:

I don't take my tramadol much because I usually sit at around a 45deg angle on the end of my bed with my legs crossed. This takes most of the pressure off my back, hips, and legs which is as good as taking my Tramadol. I live in my U Haul truck in my driveway (I'm crazy  :emocrazy: ). My computer and monitor are in the "Mom's Attic" above the truck cab. The end of my bed is at the fwd part of the main box just in front of the "Mom's Attic". (I hope that made sense)(It is gonna start getting around 110F soon in here during the day even with my little air conditioner  :emomad2: ).

When I am out, I often don't take my Tramadol because I don't want to push myself into a situation where I would suffer the next day for pushing myself while on the pain meds. I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.  :giveup:

Even though my sig has a pot leaf on it, I don't use it but maybe once a month or three. I'm afraid of popping positive on a piss test or blood test at the VA and having my pain meds taken away. Lyrica and Tramadol, or my psych meds (I won't list right now, I'd have to remember them first). Most doc's don't care, but some will crucify you if you use. I'm in Ca where recreational use is state legal.

looneylane

I was able to balance exercise and tramadol fairly easy as it didn't cause any fog for me so I had clarity to keep things in check. T3s barely do anything at all for pain and cause mental fatigue for me.

foxgrove

If my doc goes on an opioid ban kick, I'm in deep trouble!  So far my pain is being reduced to more humane levels with some pretty major opioids to the point where an ER would have to be very cautious about what I was given.  I would imagine that kind of mindset really strains the doctor/patient relationship.  I know I'd be more than ticked off to have all my pain relief taken away, regardless of the public outcry.  I've gotta ask, if a patient's pain control is stable and their medication is not causing an undue amount of danger, why are they screwing around with it??

Got you guys in my prayers.  I know what you mean about T3s, looney.  Just a waste of time...  I remember once thinking they were really potent when I twisted my ankle around backwards, you know... back when I had NO idea what real pain was.  {sigh}  Oh for that kind of naivete again.

Foxgrove

looneylane

The crazy part was my pain doc in Saskatchewan had me on Hydromorphone both fast acting and long term which wasn't to be reduced without my consent or his because the thought was I was able to live life and reduced supportive care was needed while taking proper pain management. The nerve block dr I saw thought I was being under treated for pain management and I think the world of my new GP but I am sure he has bought into the anti opioid rally.

foxgrove

Bought in or sold out!!!!  That's just stupid!  Why exactly is something that has worked for centuries suddenly anathema to knifing someone?  At some point we need to sit down with our doctors and let them know we aren't playing this game or something of that thing.  They can't expect us to do life with massive pain weighing us down in a big way.

Foxgrove

tojo

The very sad point my friend Mr. Fox is that huge numbers of people in pain and people that were there representing those in pain that couldn't make it because of the pain were present at all of the governmental meetings where they were planning this fiasco. It didn't do any good. They were given their time to talk as was required but they were ignored completely. I'm thinking that since I need to move I might as well figure out how to move to a medical pot state. The VA has in place a thing that says Vets in those states cannot in any way be messed with if they pop positive for pot. They did nothing to address those of us in non-medical pot states. Left us out to dry I guess. I think we are still in the "you use, you lose" situation. Although I did tell the drug doc that I was gonna if they took to much of my pain meds away. Funny thing is that I have not heard from her since I have been back from the Kansas misadventure and they have not reduced my meds anymore. Who knows what these "Non-doctor" politicians will try to take over next. I mean they are exspurts on everything else!
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk