News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Insight from repairing my Win desktop

Started by mab52, February 10, 2017, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mab52

Hi guys,
Haven't been on the forums for awhile. Thought I'd share my success with fixing my HP desktop. Back in September, the computer would start up fine, run for awhile, and then shut down. I figured it was overheating and opened it up to do some cleaning. It wasn't dirty as was a previous desktop I owned. Tried reinstalling Windows. It was ok for a bit and then it shut down again. I have another machine, so I just set it aside and thought I might just have to get a new computer at some point.

So I shopped around and I noticed something. Most of the desktops the usual users buy come with a generic power supply and it's often underpowered. Mine had an HP label and it wasn't puny. Well that's almost ok. But how would I know if something was wrong with it?

Then I read that you can't tell if the power supply is the problem unless you replace it. So I decided to order a Corsair 500W supply. Slightly more power than the one I had.  On sale and a mail in $20 rebate. Very easy to remove the old one and install the new one. Four screws and about five plug in wires depending on your machine. Removal and installation took me about an hour and that's only because I hadn't done it before and I wanted to make sure I was doing right. Now that I know the routine, it would take about half that time.

Works great now. I have new appreciation of power supplies and the relative ease of repairing the desktop. Being able to do this myself probably saved me $75.00 or so.

foxgrove

Well done, brother!!  :clapping:  You're right that you saved yourself some shop time... anywhere from $50-110 per hour for diagnosis and repair.  I've seen pretty nasty bills for work that shouldn't have cost much more than the parts.  Well done.  :great:
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

ronr

Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

mab52

Thanks guys. There are things I know I can't do. Still a whole lot more that I don't know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk