News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

Kobo Reader

Started by Zathras, June 17, 2012, 10:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zathras

I just got a Kobo e-reader and I am loving it so far! Very light, easy to move around and hold in a position to be able to clearly see the screen, adjustable font size, and simple to use.

Like any other new computer item it will take time to get to know how to use it well but I'm hoping to be able to get back to reading close to the way that I used to.

looneylane

I have considered an e reader as I used to be a prolific reader on many subjects. Now I am lucky to read the instructions. old man w-cane

Old Crab

I have had a Sony E-reader Touch for about 5 years. I love it. I still love reading real books, but the E-reader is so much more practical for travel.
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
ALGEBRA SUCKS!
I need a hug!

Zathras

The one thing that I would recommend is the Calibre e-book management software. It is a free download and is very simple to use. You can set it up for your e-reader and use it to keep track of your library.

looneylane

I would really like to hear which ones are best for overall use in many ways screen size battery life are tablets better or worse I just dont want to invest in something without knowing if it will suit my life...crazy as it is :insane:

WolfSoul

I have a Kindle and I love it! In a couple of paychecks, I am going to get a Kindle Fire!  The benefit I didn't think about when I bought it, but now have come to really appreciate, is that the Kindle weights A LOT less than a paperback book and especially a hardback!

I have to admit though, it took me a while to get an e-reader. I worked in bookstores for about a decade and the thought of not holding a book made of paper was just  :yikes: but now, my hands hurt too much for a "real book".
So I'll take my e-reader any day.   :LOL:

Zathras

The one thing that I have read is that no matter what brand you have the battery life will be less if you leave the Wi-Fi on all of the time.

The other thing is if you intend to borrow e-books from the local library check with them to see what format they have and what readers support that format out of the box. The Kobo I have will read pretty much any format and if I find one that it does not support the Calibre has a converter in the program.

looneylane

Sounds like a trip to chapters is in store...pretty punny for a tuesday...

WolfSoul

@Z-Yes, that is very true. Unless you are downloading, turn of the wifi.

Maybe we should start a e-book reccomendation list?

looneylane

tojo

I have a Sony and I love it. Battery seems to last forever even with the wifi turned on. It will also work with the public library. Wish I would have gotten one a long time ago as I love to read but had to stop because of my hands.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

foxgrove

I've been doing e-book reading for about 8 years now.. It's quite amazing the library you build up over time.  Zath.. you're bang on with Calibre.. The programmer is also very good about giving beta testing work if that's your bag.. Always something going on.

I'm still using my Palm TX.. I know, everyone says it's too small..  Well.. no, for me it's not.  I've read hundreds of books on it and have thousands more books waiting to be read on it.  It's pretty limited on battery life (2 days at most) and file formats though I've got some good proggies that'll do most of the standard formats and as Zath says, Calibre has a good converter.  The thing I like about it is I can put it in my pocket, have it available anywhere at a moments notice.. etc etc.  Nothing quite like a go-anywhere book that I can actually keep a hold of.

The local library is great for lending books but yeah, their format is severely limited.  They seem to be totally stuck on adobe products but thankfully, they've started to branch out into Mobi books.. still time locked but I can read them while they are mine.
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

Zathras

One of the great things about Kobo is that they have a large collection of books that are free to download.

I tried the local library and that Adobe format cannot be read except by their own program. Even though I set up my reader in that program I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it to send the file to it. I guess I will just have to go to an information session so someone can explain it to me.

looneylane

I will check to see if our library has an e lending policy.

tojo

I had my son set me up and account in the Austin Texas public library system because our local library is not up with the times LOL.

As far as calibre etc, do any of y'all know how to convert the kindle books from Amazon? I have like 500 books that I have downloaded free and can only read them on my computer. I signed up for a daily email that has a whole bunch of amazon titles that are free to download. They have all kinds of topics everyday from kids books to how to loose weight. The problem is having to read them on the puter, I want to read them on my sony ebook. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
one of Jesus' own
Tojo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk