News:

Welcome Back to the MenWithFibro Forums
It does not matter the name, We all have the same symptoms.
We are THE ORIGINAL
"MenWithFibro"

Main Menu

ShoutBox! For quick short shout outs to other members. For introductions, questions or comments please post in the proper sections of the forum.

2023 Nov 18 19:10:11
ronr: Sorry folks but we have to move again.  Finances is the major reason and but the new hosting service is kicking back tons of errors and things just aren't work well!  I cleaned out the shoutbox just so that the changes messages will stand out better!

2023 Nov 18 19:06:32
ronr: Facebook does not allow nearly the amount of privacy and they search for people and groups thatdon't follow their guidelines.

2023 Nov 13 19:25:44
ronr: This link is an invitation for those that would like to follow us! https://discord.gg/WYfQM3TW

2023 Nov 13 19:25:04
ronr: Discord is new to most of us but there is a GREAT DEAL of privacy there.  You need to be invited to even see our page.  Download of the app is easy and there are plenty of directions

confusing wireless thieves

Started by augoldminer, April 02, 2014, 03:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augoldminer

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Old Iron Men
USS Enhance MSO437
Sanity is for Nuts!

looneylane

:insane: LOL My son is the techy we couldnt figure out why our internet was slow we didn't have ours encrypted ( I didnt know how to) they were running multiple limewire downloads constantly so our internet was slowed down to almost 56 k speeds. when he checked our router the neighbour had 30 downloads at a time! cheap lazy sob

ronr

OW !

That might discourage them a bit.
Times are tough when "Happy Hour" is your nap.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!

foxgrove

:rotflmao:  HILARIOUS!!! :rotflmao:

I love this.. it's almost worth it to run an open wireless network and do this just for fun!!  :emolaugh:  If I can get my brain to work around running a host inside a virtual machine.. someone's gonna get a good laugh outta this and it's likely to be ME!! 
Where God leads, His hand always provides
...so keep Calm and code on....

Foxgrove

looneylane

A few of my friends have labelled there "RCMP Surveillance van" and "CSIS Mobile" among other scary names

foxgrove

:lmao:  Oh man.. I love those!!  How about "Federal Sex Crimes Unit".. or "Microsoft Anti-Piracy {insert your local area here}"..  How to freak out your neighbours in a big way!!  :rotfl:

Foxgrove

Mugsy

I truly respect the people who stay strong even when they have every right to break down. If you live with illness. . . you are one of them! (and it is ok to break down now and then!)

looneylane

Our internet company wants to throttle our speeds now unless we pay more...Urggghhh!!! :emomad2: :emomad2: :emomad2: :emowall: :emowall: :emowall: What a rip off

Lonesome George

The cable company, the satellite company, the cell phone company, the internet company (which is usually one of the above mentioned), all buy up the competition untill there are only a few remaining, then they collude to price fix.  Check it out.  The offered price may vary quite a bit on the surface, but when all options are added together, it comes out the same.

We now have far fewer choices to purchase from than before, and if people don't believe they price fix, I can tell you stories from my business days.

AJohnsy

Quote from: foxgrove on April 03, 2014, 08:26:32 AM
:lmao:  Oh man.. I love those!!  How about "Federal Sex Crimes Unit".. or "Microsoft Anti-Piracy {insert your local area here}"..  How to freak out your neighbours in a big way!!  :rotfl:

HAHAHA!!!
Can you imagine what people think when they see names like that!??!!!  :emolaugh:
- Adam

"Live by the foma that makes you brave and kind and healthy and happy."

TMSIII

Well...firstly, don't do this unless you know the risks. A simple Mac-Address filter in dhcp is hardly secure. :emobadmod: :blowup: :emomad2: :emocurse: :emorant: These articles kinda piss me off, as the author doesn't point out the risks AT ALL...and mebe doesn't know them. (I mean the linked article up top. Not those on this thread)

Further, unless you are running something of a full featured router/firewall...like pfsense or some flavor of DDWRT, you are giving folks access to your internal network, probably the router. And no, SOHO routers ARE NOT SECURE! Also known as sohopeless routers. http://search.theregister.co.uk/?q=sohopeless&advanced=1&psite=0&author=&date=the+dawn+of+time&site=0&results_per_page=20

Also never run a wireless device with anything other than WPA2. You're asking for grief. Use a secure password, a big one. You only enter it on your device/PC/Lappy once. I use a simple substituion code called LEET, and the verse of a song or a movie line like this:

N0,!@mY0urF@th3r!  -- for star wars week. OK Password.

or mebe

W3lc0m3T0Wh3r3T!m3St@nd55t1ll-N00n3L3@v35@ndN00n3W1ll!  --much better. (Hint: Metallica)

In the past, I had been known to log into open routers. Update the firmware. Secure them and log out. Amazingly, my neighbors began securing their own networks. I figured it was better for them than their allowing a thief to download kiddie pr0n from their IP connection.

As MOST seasoned I.T. and security people will tell you, it might seem funny to do this, but you never know who you're gonna piss off. If you have time and wanna match wits against others, set up a honey pot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeypot_%28computing%29

https://www.honeynet.org/taxonomy/term/59

http://www.darkreading.com/analytics/threat-intelligence/open-source-tool-aimed-at-propelling-honeypots-into-the-mainstream/d/d-id/1278726

Honeypots are actually security tools.

Also, don't draw attention to yourself with cutesy WAP names like those above. While funny, they invite attacks. Don't leave a default name. Don't use your name. Name it after a character from a movie or book. And then secure it. It's only worth hacking a wireless network if it's easy...unless you piss someone off. So be casual and reasonably secure. People connected to your wireless network have a massively increased attack surface on your home network...so don't get pwned.

foxgrove

Honeypots... I'd much rather set them up remotely 'cause getting them too close to yourself is a good way to get folks banging on your door.  Tracking an antenna is the simplest part of wardriving so no safety there!!  Well stated though.  You're right that there is no reason to set up a goofy name to attract attention, unless you want to see what flies it will attract, and are ready for what comes through!!!

ps... If anything in the above links was confusing, don't!!!

Foxgrove

countryboy

What language were you guys speaking?  :insane:
IT IS BETTER TO BE CONSIDERED A FOOL, THAN TO
OPEN YOUR MOUTH AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.   But
UNFORTUNTELY MOST PEOPLE REFUSE TO LEAVE ANY DOUBT.  -unknown-

ANY FOOL CAN CRITICIZE, CONDEM AND COMPLAIN --
AND MOST FOOLS DO.   'Benjamin Franklin'

denny

I KNEW IT WAS THE ALIENS!

"FREE ME FROM EXISTANCE"
It is what it is...

TMSIII

Quote from: foxgrove on December 15, 2015, 12:20:15 AM
ps... If anything in the above links was confusing, don't!!!

LOL!
:laughbounce2: :emocrazy: :lmao:

It's geek speak...and now for the obligatory Homer Simpson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

T3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk